• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Rainbowfish fry - Gary Lange egg kits

I picked up three of the egg kits after Gary's talk at Aquafest on Friday night.

This morning I checked on the breeder boxes and I have fry swimming in two and all three the eggs are eyed up.

I didn't get to put them in on Friday night and it was good I checked them Saturday night as one of them had already hatched a few eggs in his thimble jar.

I will post the species names later tonight. Really looking forward to seeing these guys grow out.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
That's really awesome. I wish I could have attended the talk, but wasn't able to. Look forward to seeing pics of the rainbows as they grow.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Yeah, definitely cool, Rob. How many eggs were in each kit? How were they packed?

Wish I could have made his talk as well.

JasonC

Members
So for the benefit of those who couldn't make the talk, how do these rainbow kits work? Guessing not dried eggs like killies, but do rainbows have a long incubation time, or do they require certain conditions to animate? curious minds want to know. ;P

I will post his basic instruction manual later tonight for those that cant get the link Matt provided to work.

The eggs were in a small thimble sized jar attached to a piece of yarn. There were anywhere from 50-100 eggs per jar. They were in water with methylene blue to help with fungus. They came in a small bag with instructions and a small amount of fry fish food, a rotifer powder. The time it takes to incubate varies by species but it seems most are 7-14 days so Gary's fish must have laid at least a few days before the talk as two groups are already hatching. Temps need to be in the low 80's and regular water changes are a must. I think getting the eggs to hatch is probably not the hard part. its going to be getting the fish grown out. Currently the fry are microscopic little silver slivers.

chriscoli

Administrator
Yeah, I totally hear ya. fry are hard to photograph.

I was really tempted to bid on those kits....It seemed like a really straightforward way to get some fantastic, and rare fish.

I figure if I get four fish total from all three, that's about what I paid for the three kits compared to store prices and I will have much much prettier fish without having to drive back and forth from the gas station, siphoning the gas tank, loading the gas into gas cans, crowding onto a teeny tiny boat for ten to twelve hours to then get lost in the jungle with leaches and stickerbushes and creek beds 15 feet deep for six to seven hours only to get back and find half of what we collected dead along with another ten to twelve hours in the boat plus the boat ran out of gas and then an hour plus taxi ride.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
I figure if I get four fish total from all three, that's about what I paid for the three kits compared to store prices and I will have much much prettier fish without having to drive back and forth from the gas station, siphoning the gas tank, loading the gas into gas cans, crowding onto a teeny tiny boat for ten to twelve hours to then get lost in the jungle with leaches and stickerbushes and creek beds 15 feet deep for six to seven hours only to get back and find half of what we collected dead along with another ten to twelve hours in the boat plus the boat ran out of gas and then an hour plus taxi ride.
:lol::lol:

tcheng99

Members
I have about 30+ 3/4" to one inch Glossolepis multisquamata - Pagai Village available now. This one color up very late, compare with others I breed before. Once they color up you can have some. You don't have to wait till you have something to exchange.