• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Questions

Duane911

Members
So I just filled my 180 acrylic tank and I guess you could say I'm freaking out. I've never had a tank this big and have never strayed from glass. I feel like it's " pillowing " out a bit. Is this normal ? I'm not going to get much sleep over the next few days...
I believe the stand I built is strong enough to support the giant but again...freakin out.
If anyone has expierence with this, please by all means share. I also would like to not hear from folks advising me to not have acrylic as this would not be helpful. Too late. Again, from the guy who always posts many, many questions, thanks.

D. Matthews

Matt

Members
I have a large acrylic tank and I too went through the many sleepless nights thinking I would go see the tank to find a larger than life mess. Acrylic tanks will bow a little depending on the thickness of the material and the overall dimensions of the tank, assuming a standard 180 (72x24x24) the material is probably 1/2" thick on the sides which will cause a little bowing........NORMAL!! Did yo get a reputable brand of tank? DIY? Used? Your stand needs to be level and it should have support for the entire tank bottom unlike a framed glass tank. Best of luck with your new tank and let me know how it's going.
Matt

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Post up a picture of the stand. What did you build it out of?

Duane911

Members
The tank is used , it has a manufacture sticker from clarity on the bottom right corner. It has an overflow built in and this morning I noticed a small drip coming from the back, where i presume the seal might be bad. I keep thinking I got a great deal but I'm to afraid to move my fish in. I read a lot about acrylic tanks last night and found that they should be a thickness of about .5 in. Mine is 3/8 !!!! No bueno. The stand I built has ribs for support, though not covered solid. Each rib is about 8 in apart. I inspected it countless times during setup and fill and did not see any flexing on the bottom.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Not sure for acrylic, but having ribs across the bottom of a glass tank es no bueno tambien. It causes shear stresses across the bottom of the tank or front and back panes, depending on how the frame supports the bottom of the tank. It have a sheet of plywood covering the whole thing with a thin sheet of styro atop to allow for minor differences.

Matt

Members
Clarity Plus made a fine tank, no worries there. Elaborate on the leak on the back, any pics? Tony is right, the stand does need to be covered with plywood to support the entire bottom.

Duane911

Members
I'm always away from my desk top and use my iPhone to write in so pics are hard to upload. The pipe that us leaking is in the top of the tank. It's an overflow. I believe the seal on the inside or outside is bad. I'm going to drain, put down plywood and seal the overflow edges in and out of the tank. Silicone ? Then refill. Everyone keeps saying clarity is reputable but the flexing has me flexing. I feel for a tank of this size , 3/8 is rather thin. I DO NOT want 180 gal on the carpet as I would get an eviction from my landlord as fast as the water poured out !!

Matt

Members
are you talking about a bulkhead....goes through the tank and attaches with a nut on the other side? If so drain the tank down below the bulk head and unscrew it. There should be a rubber gasket on the water side, clean every thing good, look for cracks in the bulkhead and put it back together if it's ok. you can put a bead of aquarium silicone on the outside between tank and nut, do do over tighten as this can cause leaks also if you compress the gasket to much. As for Clarity Plus thats just how the made their tanks back in the day, I agree with you, I would like to see thicker material as well but if you dont hit it with something hard enough to crack the acrylic it should be fine.

Duane911

Members
I'm just so scares to put all my hard work from the 55 in there. I wanted a larger tank. In the future I will put more research into my goals.

I think you should let me come and get it, it sounds like its not going to work for you lol. No man the advise above is spot on, once you get all the minor bugs out it will be sweet!!!

minifoot77

Members
whats the foot print i'll take it chris doesn't have any space anyway.... unless he is gonna put it in his bedroom..... or where the hottub is....

Cartel

Members
I'll sell it to you for what I paid and for lumber cost. So let's say...125

Dont let your hopes down and quit now because your problems can be easily fixed. If its a bulkhead leaking thats no big deal. The only thing I would worry about more then anything would be the stand and like many have suggested that is also an easy fix. The whole bottom needs to be supported and that is also not something that is out of this world to do. Plus if you got a good deal on it even if you cant now you can still with time spare to put more money into it and come out winning.

Andrew

Members
The tank needs to be emptied ASAP so that the ribbing of the stand top does not create permanent deflections in the acrylic. Put a skin of 3/4" plywood on the top of the stand to completely support the bottom.

do you have any schematics on the stand you built i am planning on bldg a couple here soon and i am just looking at different designs now...