• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Question about salt...

snoskiur

Members
Hey all... I have always kept salt in my tank, but lately started using the rift lake recipe (Epsom, Baking Soda and Marine Salt). The recipe I'm using is about 1 tsp. Marine Salt per five gallons.

If I have fish with injury or illness, I have always added a tbsp of salt per five gallons - how does this apply now that I'm using the rift lake recipe? Can I still bump up the salt, or do I even need to? If so, do I use regular salt, or the Marine salt?

Thanks!

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I keep no rift lake fish. I did and at first I used a mixture similar to yours. The fish did great. I got tired of them and started to concentrate on my SA fish. I quit putting any salt or buffer of any kind in my rift lake tanks. They continued to do great. All that dosing seemed to be a waste of time and money.

When my fish get sick, rift lake, SA, or CA, about the only remedy I use is salt. I use marine salt and I gradually bring the concentration up to 3 teaspoons per gallon. You did not read that wrong - 3 teaspoons per gallon. I try to do a fairly big water change in a week but this has cured many ills for me. These fish can take way more salt than you think and the parasites cannot.

Now that is for parasites which are generally my only problems. I use Melafix for injuries.

OK,

George

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I bet that would knock out planaria too even at less concentration.

mfield4

Members
agreed. I stopped adding salt to my tank as I saw absolutely no difference between using it and not using it.

Most rifties won't care anyway as they are bred in neutral water I believe.

I think I use kosher salt for illnesses, and don't even measure it cuz they can handle so much lol