• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Python like devices

Wblaze

Members
I know I have heard that they re making the python again, but has anyone hav ny experience with the new versions made by Aqueon, lees, or deep blue. They all seem he same to me but the prices are so different

rsretep

Members
I have Lees "python" and dont have anything negative to say about it other than the plastic adapter that screws into your faucet is indeed plastic and I decided to buy the metal one instead

creepyoldguy

Members
How about getting a garden hose adapter for about $2. Drain the hose out a door or window, when done draining, hook it up to the sink and call it a water change

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I use the lees brand. I gravity drain to a toilet. I use a metal adapter on the sink to fill. Quick and clean. The hardest part is remembering the tank is filling.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

londonloco

Members
I had a python for literally 15 years, replaced the hoses several times, finally the tube cracked. Bought a Aqueon set up, it has a ball valve on the tube to cut off water but keeps the syphon, very handy when moving from tank to tank.

I also have the two smaller sizes by Lee's, just picked up the "middle size", petsmart had one on clearance for 4$, perfect for 20g long tanks. The smallest sized one Lee puts out I use for my jars.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have the Lee's brand as well and don't have any complaints. I have replaced both the shut off valve and the faucet connection over the years but have been satisfied with its performance overall.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
I have never had a reason to buy any of the others.
Like londonlaco I have used the same python for many years. I think I purchased it not too long after I moved into this house and I have been there for around 24 years. The one piece is just now wearing out. And with all my tanks over the years it gets used a lot! lol Plus it has traveled to a lot of conventions with me.
To me, sometimes paying more for a proven product is worth it.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I have never had a reason to buy any of the others.
Like londonlaco I have used the same python for many years. I think I purchased it not too long after I moved into this house and I have been there for around 24 years. The one piece is just now wearing out. And with all my tanks over the years it gets used a lot! lol Plus it has traveled to a lot of conventions with me.
To me, sometimes paying more for a proven product is worth it.
DITTO ;) I BOUGHT 1 PYTHON AND IM STILL USING IT.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Python is great but getting replacement parts today can be difficult. If you can find them, stick with it, but I recently had to replace the faucet adapter because the Python broke and no stores carry the parts. I bought the Lee's blue replacement and it hooked up fine. It seems like the faucet adapter is the weak link in every design, no matter who makes it.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Congressional Aquarium in Rockville has lots of Python / Lees parts. I bought a garden hose and the faucet pump...and voila: a python :)

Matt

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Congressional Aquarium in Rockville has lots of Python / Lees parts. I bought a garden hose and the faucet pump...and voila: a python :)

Matt

The only reason why I don't use a garden hose is that it is not transparent, so it is difficult to see where a clog is located or when a small fish has been sucked up.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I bought a Python originally (used, on Craigslist), but the faucet adapter cracked, so I replaced the adapter with an Aqueon product, which I think is a better design.

creepyoldguy

Members
If draining it out the it door or window us too messy, drain into the sink or toilet. Either way you'll have a hose laying somewhere and it works identical. You'll just save money rather than overpaying for a clear tube and sone plastic adapter

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I WENT TO LOWES TO GET A RELACEMENT FAUCET ADAPTER......ANY DRAIN REFILL KIT WORKS FOR THE OTHER PARTS. LASTLY GOOD OLE EBAY OR SOME OTHER ONLINE SOURCE AND YOU ARE GOOD TO GO.

Leffler817

CCA Members
One python going on ten years old! I got the brass faucet connector just because I liked it better than the plastic. I have a slight crack in the 'T' that I'll replace with all brass parts from the Depot.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Since we are talking about gravel cleaners (Python, Lees, etc) and many of the ones we own are more than a few years old, I am wondering how you keep yours clean? Mine has a build up of what looks to be mold or mildew inside it. It does not seem to impact the fish, as it has been like this for years.

dogofwar

CCA Members
bio filter :) I wouldn't worry about...

Matt

Since we are talking about gravel cleaners (Python, Lees, etc) and many of the ones we own are more than a few years old, I am wondering how you keep yours clean? Mine has a build up of what looks to be mold or mildew inside it. It does not seem to impact the fish, as it has been like this for years.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member

I bleached mine a couple times. Normally don't worry about it.
Never has hurt anything.