• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

PVC glue safty

bschuhart

Members
I glue a bunch of PVC pipe together to make hide outs for my cichlid grown out tanks.

How long do I have to wait after glueing for it to become safe to put in the tank?

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd give it 24 hours...just to be safe. Probably safe within minutes of gluing...at least safe enough for drinking water use :)

Matt

BIG_Z

Members
This may sound paranoid but I always put it in a bucket of water for a few days and then dump the bucket rinse the pipe and then throw it in the tank (hoping that anything that might leach out in high quantities does so quickly. Even though I assume that since it is made for the pipes that the water we drink goes through the glue would not really leach anything really toxic...but they do sell us sodas/beer in aluminum cans and that is not exactly the best for us *insert rant on how our bodies cant process out some of the metals that the soda will leach out of aluminum cans*) Now that I have officially made myself sound crazy today I will be quiet lol

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
I always thought aluminum was great because freshly cut surfaces instantly oxidize upon contact with oxygen. ?

BIG_Z

Members
Well they coat it with a thin layer of plastic on the inside but some people are claiming that certain sodas are so corrosive that a little nick in the plastic will lead to bad results(that and when you crack it open a bunch of micro particles are released). One of those things that is probly such a small non issue that it doesn’t matter but gives people like me something to think about lol This all started back in my beer brewing days I was using an aluminum cook pot and a fellow brewer came over to help one day and flipped out on me for using alum. when you stir it scratches and small amounts come off etc etc *also sorry for a temp thread hijack - returns thread to rightful owner.*