• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ps Williamsi

fischfan13

Banned
Pseudotropheus Williamsi...one of the rarest of all Pseudotropheus.
Definitely not an easy Mbuna to breed.
The stock was from Dave Schumacher (davesfish.com) and they have bred and their spawns have been small but very healthy.
Ask anyone who has bought these from me and they will all tell you the same thing...they eat like pigs!

Two sizes are available:
1 3/4 - 2" .... $9
1" .... $6

Here is a pic of Daddy:

DADDYISEXCITED.jpg

toddnbecka

Members
They're also relatively fast growers, particularly for African cichlids. I have 6 in a 75 with a group of ruby red peacocks. They were all about the same size when stocked, now the williamsi are probably 1" or more bigger than the peacocks. They have more than doubled in size over the last 3-4 months, and the males are showing nice colors now. Incidentally, how big will they grow?

fischfan13

Banned
My dominant male is about 5-5 1/2".
These are definitely not normal Mbuna. They thrive on higher protein foods and are a pretty difficult Mbuna to breed.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Really pretty fish, so nice that I find myself tempted. I have absolutely no experience with africans. What would be the ideal tank size to keep a group of these?

fischfan13

Banned
Really pretty fish, so nice that I find myself tempted. I have absolutely no experience with africans. What would be the ideal tank size to keep a group of these?

Thanks, Jon.
My fry and juvies grow out in a 40g breeder.
Adults should be in a 4' tank.

fischfan13

Banned
They are very nice. How aggressive are they?

Pushy, but not damaging to each other.
My breeder group is 4m/4f.
The dominant male is not touched at all.
The #2 male and #3 male lip lock on occasion, and once they get into the dom male's territory they are broken up immediately.
None of the four females have ever had a mark or torn fin.

YSS

Members
Pushy, but not damaging to each other.
My breeder group is 4m/4f.
The dominant male is not touched at all.
The #2 male and #3 male lip lock on occasion, and once they get into the dom male's territory they are broken up immediately.
None of the four females have ever had a mark or torn fin.

So they could co-exist with other africans?

toddnbecka

Members
I have 2 adult trio's in a 75 with a large group of (13-14) ruby red peacocks and 4 polleni. Also a couple dozen BN pleco's growing out. The williamsi are the largest cichlids, having grown faster than the peacocks. Overall they all get along quite well aside from the polleni arguing among themselves, no signs of damage or split fins on any of the others.

fischfan13

Banned
They're also relatively fast growers, particularly for African cichlids. I have 6 in a 75 with a group of ruby red peacocks. They were all about the same size when stocked, now the williamsi are probably 1" or more bigger than the peacocks. They have more than doubled in size over the last 3-4 months, and the males are showing nice colors now. Incidentally, how big will they grow?

Not the best quality pic (I grabbed a net and my Blackberry) but here is the dom male...of course he looks 100x better IN water.
I didn't have a tape measure on hand, but my hand is 8" long...so this guy is 6" long.

IMG00150-20100812-2341.jpg

toddnbecka

Members
They're the same size as the males, but quick to retreat from them when challenged for an NLS pellet at feeding time. You can sort of see how much larger they are than the peacocks now, they were all the same size when they started.
Pic of the peacocks at the same distance for comparison:
P1040449.jpg