• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Protomelas steveni ''Taiwan Reef'' questions

hydrodmg

Members
soooo my $8 pair of Protomelas steveni seem to like my tank babies will be here soon any tips, information or pointers on these guys would be great

neut

Members
Breeding is similar to other haps and peacocks. Where are they in the process? Have they spawned for you? Fry typically become free swimming around 14 days, give or take, depending on tank conditions, especially temps.

Occasionally I set up a maternity tank to for the female and let her spit the fry at her leisure. In this situation she may go a few days and let them out then gather them back, like when someone walks by, etc. Can interesting to watch this process. More often I strip about 14 days after spawn or a little thereafter. I feed hap/peacock fry with crushed up foods such as freeze dried brine shrimp, NLS or Omega One flake, or HBH soft pellets (your choice of flake might be different). Freeze dried brine shrimp and the soft pellets are both especially easy to make virtually powder size grains to feed the fry with.

Often I'll initially put the fry in a fry net in their original tank. A pretty good layer of gravel in the fry net (I do about an inch) keeps most other rift lake fish from trying to munch the fry through the net.

hydrodmg

Members
i did notice her picking at some food but i am sure she is holding is this normal
thanks for the inp0ut neut

why_spyder

Members
It isn't unusual for a holding female to try (and succeed) to eat while she is holding. Just this morning one of mine ran off with a large flake to chew up but couldn't do so with such a full mouth.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I think I am going to put her in her own ten gallon

Don't move her. She will stress out without her mate in the tank. This particular Haplochromine is able to live with their fry and not eat them. They are maternal by instinct and can live with their babies until they are juveniles. I have a tank full of fry and juvies all living together with both mom and dad Steveni.

They are wonderful parents. Congratz and keep us up to date and if you have an further questions feel free to PM me here on the forum. I would be glad to answer anymore questions you have on this species. Pictures would be great!

RM