• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Prime

Travis

Members
I just bought 2 liters of Prime and I'm feeling pretty good about it. That's all, just wanted to share with people that understand.

-Travis

:sign0201:

Travis

Members
Just curious about the price comparison. I payed 31.50 for "20,000 gallons" worth of 'jelly'. What is the going rate for SAFE?

chris_todd

Members
Not sure whether to post this here, or in the "Haikus of regret" thread:

The prime does not stink
That's weird, but I'm sure it's fine
Hmmm, floating Discus

Lesson learned: if Prime doesn't smell like Prime, it probably won't work. A month ago or so, I lost half the fish in my 90g, and a third in my 75g because I didn't notice this. The bottle was a 2L, still had 3/4 left, and might have been 6 months old. I didn't think Prime went bad, but now that savings I got for getting the 2L bottle doesn't seem like such a great deal...

MonteSS

Members
I have always used Prime and it seems to work great and never had an issue with it. I will stick with the original.

Sorry Chris Todd but thanks for the heads up.

...Bill

londonloco

Members
I have well water with a TDS count of over 700 at the tap, so I use Prime every weekly WC. I am tired of buying small bottles of Prime and was going to buy the 2L size next order. After reading Chris's post, I emailed Seachem:

"Does Prime go bad, as in lose it's effectiveness."

Their reply:

"Thanks for the email and for your interest in Prime. Prime, like most of our product, does not have an expiration date and will last indefinitely. The sulfur odor is completely normal and there may be the presence of black specks in the bottle. This is also normal of Prime. I hope this helps and please let us know if you need further assistance. Have a great day!"

I then asked:

"But if the sulfur odor goes away (has NO smell after 6 months) is it less effective?"

Which they replied:

"No, the strength of the sulfur odor is completely unrelated to the effectiveness of the product. Hope this helps!"

Chris, did you email Seachem about your bottle and experience? I'd hope they would ask you to mail the bottle back to them for testing and a refund. Just a thought....

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Dang Chris. That sucks. Great haiku, but yeah, sucks. That sure was a fun thread. :)

I take your PRIME/SAFE and raise you POND PRIME... same great smell, approximate price, but double the concentration. Ken sells it. I buy it.

From the manufacturer's website (http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html)

Prime: A single 100 mL bottle will treat 1000 US gallons of tap water. Prime® will remove both chlorine and chloramines from municipal water supplies. (translation: 10 gal/ml)

Pond Prime:
Pond Prime® is a complete conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramine, and detoxifies ammonia and nitrite.....A 500 mL bottle treats over 10,000 US gallons, much more than competing products. (translation: 20 gal/ml)

How you like them apples? :wink:

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Chris: I do not think it was the Prime but that is strictly opinion and we both know what that is worth.

London: Are you suggeting that Prime is going to have any effect on your TDS? It will not.

Tony: I love ya man, but what do apples have to do with any of this? I think we need to get together again and set you straight. I am sure it isn't anything a good cigar couldn't fix.

George

londonloco

Members
London: Are you suggeting that Prime is going to have any effect on your TDS? It will not. George

Um, yes, but I am far from anything but eyes glazed when trying to understand this stuff. The Seachem website states "It will also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels." Soooo, educate me? Will it have any effect on my TDS?