• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pretty ruby reds

this is my stupidly prolific ruby red tank with the two and a half males all happily cohabitating. Just thought I'd post some pics from the new Iphone.

First is big male (one of two); second is baby male showing his colors and third is holding females. Poor things are always holding!

rubymale.jpg

rubyboy.jpg

rubygirl.jpg

thanks guys.
there are actually two that look just like him and not only do they NOT fight, but they hang out together. it's very strange.
these are from Tony stock!

fishman13

Members
Not to bust your chops but isnt this a ruby red, and that what you posted was a sunshine. Just wondering because the pic you posted looks like a sunshine or maybe a morph.????????
images

verbal

CCA Members
Ruby Reds tend to be a little more orange(like Holly's pic) than red in a lot of cases:

http://cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=1313
image.php

Sunshine peacocks have blue more on the chin rather than most of the face and are a paler shade of yellow.

image.php

Not to bust your chops but isnt this a ruby red, and that what you posted was a sunshine. Just wondering because the pic you posted looks like a sunshine or maybe a morph.????????
images

From Cichlid Forum:

The Ruby Red Peacock is not a hybrid but has been line bred from the Maleri Island race of Aulonocara sp. ''Stuartgranti Maleri". It was named Rubescens after Peter Rubin, who first imported this fish from Germany. Article on its origins:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/red_peacocks.php

The photo you posted looks either like a "super red" variation or a dragon's blood type, which just reflect ongoing tinkering with this species.

Hope that helps.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Here's a picture that I took in November of Holly's males with a remote flash overhead. While I think that her boys have filled in a bit more color-wise through the body, it's more true to their actual shade, I think.

They really are gorgeous peacocks, Holly. :)

232323232%7Ffp63548%3Enu%3D34%3C7%3E846%3E257%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3B8%3B%3B7256348nu0mrj

Tony -- pretty pix. Alas, the tank looks a little more algae-challenged now than then . . .

As for what to do with the babies . . . eventually I'll have to snag some and sell them, I guess. But that will involve a lot of chasing around and probably disturbing plants and -- this is my greater fear -- disrupting whatever personality balance is going on, so I'm not doing it until I absolutely have to . . .