• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Preseason Football discussion

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
Personally I dislike having 4 preseason games.

If they want to do preseason, I believe they should have only 2 preseason and then have 2 extra regular season games. Let them have a little larger squad for the first 2 regular season games and then cut down.

I think its a waste of time and manpower. Too many chances of getting hurt in preseason and not being available for the real thing.
Its different than baseball. More chance of getting hurt.

Where do you stand.

Jumbie

Members
Yeah I think you have a good point...I always find myself anxiously waiting for preseason to come and when it gets here I wont to fast forward through all of the "non important stuff" and get to the real deal. Also being a Redskins fan I am also wishing that we get through Preseason quickly without any players getting injured i.e. Portis. Redskin fans you know with our teams luck we would have at least 2-3 star players injured before the season starts. Football talk....ah.... I can feel that great time of the year getting closer and closer...isn't great!

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
i strongly agreewith you both on those very good points. preseason shoild be for those trying to make the cut only. add 2 more games to the season ;) and let the veterans get started.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I agree. Makes it even worse when Dan Snyder charges me full price for the preseason games as part of our season ticket package. It's hard to get anyone to take the tickets for free, never mind giving me face value for them.

Jumbie

Members
I agree. Makes it even worse when Dan Snyder charges me full price for the preseason games as part of our season ticket package. It's hard to get anyone to take the tickets for free, never mind giving me face value for them.

LOL yeah then he also charges for the offseason pratice lol.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
snyder is a piece of doo doo. hes cancer for our team im sad to say. i would never pay to see a team practice or preseason. that makes no sense to me when most of the time the starters dont even play.hope the skins have a good season.

Charlutz

Members
Goodell wants to get rid of two preseason games and add two regular season games, but it won't be easy. The owners get full price for tickets for the preseason, but don't have to pay the players. If they replace them with two reg season games, they'll have to pay the players more. They will get more tv money though.

I don't want more regular season games, but I mostly ignore the preseason except to follow who makes the teams.

I think that the preseason should be two games but that it should take the same amount of time before real games begin. I think that the prep work and evaluation of new talent that comes with preseason is critical for a cohesive unit. Look at the Redskins, imagine if they only had two weeks to get the offensive line working together. They would be 0-4 in the regular season if you cut the preseason down so dramatically this year. They have two returning "starters" on the offensive line considering injuries and change of positions for players. They have been getting crushed by the defense so far this preseason. The other reason that I think they need this amount of time is that there are always a rash of bumps and bruises the first week of preseason when the players are still "soft" which begin to go away as they get into game fitness by the end of the preseason. Is this a s*xy position, no, but I think its the right position for the players. I also think that the league should allow themselves a developmental league, as the other professional sports leagues have done, instead of using their weight to destroy other avenues of football that come up(XFL, UFL, Arena League, etc). I dont think they should base it in Europe as we saw how easily that failed, but there are plenty of mid major cities that would love to have a football team to go watch without impacting a major sports teams market. Have them play their games on Wednesdays or something....that would allow teams a reliable option for game ready talent in case of injuries. I know they have practice squads, but those guys actually are hurt by the experience because week in and week out they have to change their style to reflect the upcoming opponent and most times are not running plays at game speed, although the positive is that they learn the playbook for the team while working there.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
SKINS DIDN'T LOOK GOOD LAST NIGHT AT ALL. HOPE IT ISN'T A SIGN OF WHAT'S TO COME THIS YEAR. AT LEAST PUT SOME PTS ON THE BOARD FELLAS!

:( why do we always have to come out looking like a bunch of inept fools??? I know several starters did not play but man, at least get a field goal. The only bright spot I thought was Brian Orakpo. Lets see what happens next week.