• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pothos

chriscoli

Administrator
I know several people on this forum have expressed a desire for Pothos plants to use emersed in their tanks....

Well, in case you can't get cuttings from another member, Home Depot has 4" pots on sale for $2.50. The plants are really good looking with multiple plants per pot.

Just shake the dirt off and give the roots a rinse. If you're worried about fertilizers or pesticides, grow them for a bit in a glass/jar/vase of water before putting them in your tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1451790457.093614.jpg

Forester

Members
Thanks for sharing! Can you just toss them in the tank or do they need to be elevated or secured to something? They would be great for heavily stocked growout tanks. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dogofwar

CCA Members
You can also secure them to the side of the tank with the suction cups used for heaters...

Matt

thedavidzoo

Members
I have a few sprigs in my tanks, roots dangling in water, leaves in the air, not much light during the day.

My question is: How much pothos is recommended per gallon? I'm sure my one little cutting isn't doing much in my 75 gal with 15 smallish fish...or am I wrong? How much nitrate does such a plant use?

Becca

Members
I have some in the fish room and it is alive, but doesn't grow much. It gets basically 0 light.

I trim buckets of it out of the paludarium. If there's that much interest in it I can try to time trimmings with meetings.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
I actually did some reading on this.....and not many terrestrial plants like nitrate, but they loooove ammonia and nitrite. So they are beneficial for reducing total nitrogenous waste overall.

If you want a true nitrate hog, grow hornwort.

dogofwar

CCA Members
+1

My fishroom's basically lit on most days by a couple of overhead fluorescent bulbs...Pothos actually do OK, especially in tanks near the bulbs. The roots are great hiding places for fry as well.

My biggest issue is knocking the Pothos into the tank when I do water changes

Matt

I actually did some reading on this.....and not many terrestrial plants like nitrate, but they loooove ammonia and nitrite. So they are beneficial for reducing total nitrogenous waste overall.

If you want a true nitrate hog, grow hornwort.