• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Possible ick?

csrrrc

Members
Hello all just joined the forum.. Received a shipment of fish yesterday all doing well and seem very happy. I noticed just a few minutes ago the dolphin Moori with some white spots please see picture and let me know if it seems to be ick or another infection. Thanks a lot Chris

image.jpg

Could be, hard for me to tell. I would add salt, raise temp to 84 just to be safe. If it gets any worse at all I would isolate him and medicate. Is it a new set up?

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

csrrrc

Members
It it a new setup in the sense I just emptied the tank and started over with a nice mix of haps and peacocks. same biological in place with sump under tank and bio ball media. Just stocked tank yesterday and shipment came in a little rough. Ps don't order fish around the holidays as FedEx will best the crap out of your package do to the increase in volume for them.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

It it a new setup in the sense I just emptied the tank and started over with a nice mix of haps and peacocks. same biological in place with sump under tank and bio ball media. Just stocked tank yesterday and shipment came in a little rough. Ps don't order fish around the holidays as FedEx will best the crap out of your package do to the increase in volume for them.

Yes they will, just got a non fish order. Took a week longer and arrived unrecognizable. If your water is good then just salt can work miracles on ich. If all that is stocked is Africans you can get away with a surprisingly large amout. I would start with a tbs per five gallons then add another tsp per five in 12 hours. Heat also kills ich I think the magic number is 86º maybe someone else can verify that. Keep a close eye, if it gets worse I would isolate. There are some great threads in the archives about the life cycle of ich and how it can stay in a tank for two+ weeks after all signs are gone. Read up and your chances are good (assuming it is def ich, I am viewing from a cell phone).

zackcrack00

Members
Looks like ich yo me. Sorry about that. But Dan's advice is good, I'd do the salt and raise their temp. to about 86, maybe 88.

dogofwar

CCA Members
A good reason to quarantine new fish as well...

Heat + clean water and it will be gone soon...

Matt

csrrrc

Members
I treated with salt and a half dose of tetra ick cure. Worked well so far. Did a 25% water change. What are the thoughts of the aquarium salt. Are there long term affects on the fish to just keep the tank salted? Obviously it will eventually disappear with normal water changes but why not add the salt back?

I always have salt in my water. From what I understand it helps with a whole bunch of things. From slime production to fungus/bacterial prevention ect.....it may seem odd to add salt to fresh water but for the fish it seems odd when we don't. I am speaking in terms of rift lake species. Some others can not tolerate salt but as far as most africans go there is salt in their natural waters and although they don't need it, I guess its the same as high ph they don't need it but they do prefer it.