• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pool Filter Sand question

jonclark96

Past CCA President
It is usually pretty clean straight from the bag. I've put it right in a tank without rinsing with no issues. You may have a little dust, but your mechanical filtration will quickly clear that up.

fischfan13

Banned
I wonder if brands or suppliers differ?
A few years back I bought a few bags from a Pool Store near Philly and the sand needed to be rinsed badly.
I dumped the sand in a 5 gallon bucket and ran a garden hose thru the sand for about 15 minutes.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Philadelphia PFS is known to be inferior. I guess you didn't know that.

Seriously, it probably does differ from supplier to supplier. My experience has been good with 3 or 4 different brands. None have needed to be rinsed, although the color of the sand has varied quite a bit.

Remember that Sam once got some PFS that raised the pH of his tanks.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Wash before using

Have to differ with my esteemed finatics on this one - IMO everything should be rinsed before becoming part of an aquatic habitat unless it's alive, including the tank itself. Inert substances have history and are usually of unknown provenance - no telling what they've acquired from origin, collection and transit, only reasons not to rinse beforehand are laziness and impatience. While I empathize with said reasons and resemble both periodically, rinsing substrate for example is just too easy not to employ and good for peace of mind. Same reason I wash fruits and vegetables, even organic ones. just never know who's grubby hands were involved along the way.

WRT to suspended particulates, I hate waiting for tanks to clear up, even if it's only a day or less. I use a lot of "play sand" because it's finer than pool sand and I like the color better than PFS, and it's dusty as a m*f*, as in 10%+ silt by volume (DO NOT expose your kids to this stuff - it will end up in their lungs) - multiple rinsings mandatory. Have also used premium substrate that came from the ocean that had acquired some sort of contamination in processing (smelled like machine oil) - but nothing that a little Dr. Bronner's soap and hot water couldn't handle.

All hail the 5-gallon plastic bucket.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Almost

Remember that Sam once got some PFS that raised the pH of his tanks.

Actually I posted about it but didn't get it because it wasn't silica sand but crushed limestone (calcerous) I believe. Pool supply store on outer Rhode Island Avenue in DC/MD as I recall.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
And with good reason

I don't rinse...

Matt

Hard to rinse something you don't have - can't recall seeing substrate in any of your tanks. Maybe I just couldn't see it what with the blinding illumination you employ in your fishroom.:D

dogofwar

CCA Members
In most tanks I scatter enough to cover the bottom. Keeps the eartheaters busy and the glare down :)

Substrate, especially gravel, is overrated!

Matt

Hard to rinse something you don't have - can't recall seeing substrate in any of your tanks. Maybe I just couldn't see it what with the blinding illumination you employ in your fishroom.:D

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Each to thine own

It's an aesthetic/plant thing. I know that with you it's all about the sex, or rather spawning, but some of us have this weird landscaping jones we have to feed. Interior decorating just isn't in everyone's DNA, "and that's a (really) good thing".

:D

Hannibal

Members
In the short time I have been using it in my tanks I have always rinsed it first. I would rather rinse it even though I may not need to than not rinse it and find out I should have. My fish thank my cautious nature.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
No problem pouring it into a tank filled with water, pre-rinsed or not depending on your preference. I'd turn off filters when doing it.

QuarterMiler

Members
I've always rinsed my PFS. It really cuts down on the cloudiness, and the chance that the fine particles will wind up chewing away at filter impellers.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Well there's that

I've always rinsed my PFS. It really cuts down on the cloudiness, and the chance that the fine particles will wind up chewing away at filter impellers.

Those thin ceramic spindle shafts actually get really corroded and ground down over time - stands to reason that suspended silica is a lot more abrasive than organic matter and would accelerate time to performance degradation/failure. Yet another argument for pre-filters...