• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Please save my Cichlids!

Shoelace

Members
Hi, CCA,

I haven't been here for a while. I have a 180G in-wall tank that used to be a reef and then life got busy so it dwindled painfully. Rather than get out of aquaria all-together, I set it up as an mbuna tank which has been quite a dream maintenance wise compared to what I had to do for SPS corals, etc.

But I'm getting the bug back to convert it back into a reef, but I am really concerned about the cost, time, and headache such a big reef takes. So when I discussed this on the WAMAS forums, of course, they all wanted me to convert it back to a reef. Right now, I think a good compromise is to keep this as a cichlid tank but kick it into high gear with better scaping and species selection and set up a 40G breeder as an SPS reef which will be more manageable.

Please, save my cichlids from myself. I need to hear the freshwater people chime in.

dogofwar

CCA Members
That tank looks great...and the only real maintenance to keep it that way is a quick glass cleaning and water change...

Matt

Rasta Fish

Members
Your tank looks absolutely gorgeous, it rivals most salt water setup
If you are bored with it add more fishes
I am sure you will get bit by the cichlid bug again at some point again

Shoelace

Members
Thanks, guys. Neat ideas. I do want to add more fish. A rock wall would look nice, but I guess I'm partial to a black background because it looks more open.

I was wondering about adding some root-like drift wood in the back, sort of the way like mangrove roots look. Do you think that would look OK?

And I really don't know much about species compatibility. I've been reading but I don't have real world experience with much more than the labs and acei I have in the tank.

What else would you put in there?

Leffler817

CCA Members
Do it! I like a mix of wood and rocks in aquariums. I have it in all of my tanks. Most of the pieces of wood have some Anubias attached to them as well.

Before suggesting more fish to add, what is your current stock list?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Awesome tank I second the wood and foliage just don't overdue it. Remember we are our worst critics. My wife thinks I'm crazy when my projects look good or almost perfect and then I try to make them perfect but then end up effing thing up.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

YSS

Members
Love the tank. I would leave it as it is. Looks stunning. The tank would look great with a school of tropheus and sand sifters. You can add some bigger fish such as Peacocks and Haps. Good luck!

Greengirl

Members
I'm a big fan of plants breaking up the monotony of the grey rocks. Throw some lush green swordtails or something that grows in African waters.

Shoelace

Members
Right now, what I think I have are L. caeruleus, M. estherae, M. callainos, P. acei, and one S. multipunctatus. They all seem to get along relatively well.

Any specific recommendations for other species to get? Or just stock more of what I have?

I'd love to do plants with how they look, but I am not a fan of the algae buildup when I have to run lights, unfortunately.

Steve

Members
What a gorgeous site. I don't know that I would add anything*--even though it's always tempting to tinker with rocks and such--unless you're finding the casualty rate too regular and too high.

* Although a half-dozen P. johanni would add a nice pattern contrast. :)

Shoelace

Members
Well, my time with the cichlids was fun, but the tank is being turned back into a reef. If anyone is interested in my fish and in the Columbia area, please pm me.