• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Please help my keyhole

mchambers

Former CCA member
Looks like it to me, but I'm no expert. The good news is that it is chronic, and not immediately fatal, or so I have read. By now, you've probably read 20 articles and have some idea of how to proceed.

I'm not really certain what to do. He is very lethargic, but then he and the girl will speed around the tank and wiggle at each other, and then he'll be lethargic again. he was not like this before I left for Paris. I am toying with pulling him and putting him in a little tank and treating with Metro.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'd try mixing up the diet a little, too. Maybe some live or frozen food. Maybe even see if you can find vitamin supplements at Congressional Aquarium.

Becca

Members
I always thought HITH was a largely nutritional issue. Definitely try the vitamin supplements and mixing up his diet a bit.

I think it can also be poor water quality, and I did have a smal apisto decomposing in the tank in my absence. I've been doing water changes daily.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Water quality can be a factor, or so I understand, but I didn't suggest that because I know you are such a conscientious aquarist. Your point about the decomposing fish makes sense, however, so I'd keep the water changes going for a while.

Thanks for the food suggestion. I can pick it up, but he's doesn't seem to be eating much. I did see him eat a bloodworm yesterday.