• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Planted Tank

Kelvin

Members
Evening,

Thinking about doing my first planted tank. Can anyone provide some insight to get me started? Thanks in advance

halak

Members
If you join GWAPA, all your plant-related questions will be answered. Also, if you come to a GWAPA meeting, and the next one is on December first, you will be able to get cheap and unusual plants at our auctions. You won't have to be a member to be a buyer at the auctions.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Viktor - Where is the December 1 GWAPA meeting being hosted?

There's tons of advice online as well. A few quick things that I believe in:

Appropriate substrate (I like Eco Complete)
Appropriate lighting -- aim for medium; roughly 2 watts per gallon
Easy plants i.e. crypts, swords, java fern, anubias, vals, wisteria
Plant heavily to outcompete the algae that will occur as you turn up the lights.

consider dosing with Excel. C02 IMHO isn't necessary, especially to begin with

daninmd

Members
There's tons of advice online as well. A few quick things that I believe in:

Appropriate substrate (I like Eco Complete)
Appropriate lighting -- aim for medium; roughly 2 watts per gallon
Easy plants i.e. crypts, swords, java fern, anubias, vals, wisteria
Plant heavily to outcompete the algae that will occur as you turn up the lights.

consider dosing with Excel. C02 IMHO isn't necessary, especially to begin with
+1
but I have had good success using organic potting soil as substrate. its really cheap and easy to find.

halak

Members
I believe that the GWAPA Holiday party is in Annandale, VA at the house of Nagesh.

Arlene

According to the GWAPA site, Nagesh, the host, lives in Springfield, VA. The address will be posted at least a week before the meeting.

Last edited: