• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Pistachio shells

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Can anything be done with them I know they sink. But how long until they disintegrate...can they be used as substrate? Or as filter media? Or even to make breeding boxes for Copepods and the like.
Do they raise or lower ph
I know it's a weird question
Just curious
Thanks guys and gals

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I wouldn't chance using them in a fish tank.

Matt

I'm not planning on it. But why do you say that? I was curious because I tossed a bunch and that got me thinking. How could someone recycle these...I know they use them for all kinds of stuff even ground up and sand blasting etc, but us at home.
It would be cool to soak a few in water and see if they change the ph sort of like a buffer also if they decay quickly or act the way driftwood does. Just tons of questions like that.
Maybe there is some beneficial to it or can be made from it?
wouldn't that be sweet? I don't know maybe I've finally lost it.

chriscoli

Administrator
Mine go into the compost to feed the worms that i feed to my fish!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

chriscoli

Administrator
Even there, though, they take forever to break down.

mchambers

Former CCA member
Mine go into the compost, too. They do take a while to decompose, as Christine says.

Localzoo, I think you should experiment with this! Maybe you could steep some in a jar of water and see what happens, without livestock.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Mine go into the compost, too. They do take a while to decompose, as Christine says.

Localzoo, I think you should experiment with this! Maybe you could steep some in a jar of water and see what happens, without livestock.

Should I do one in regular water? Then another in tank water with an airs tone etc.. Just thinking if the ammonia and nitrates and other compounds might change things. Ill try to think of a proper experiment and post something or if anyone has any ideas let me know.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Some pistachio shells (and fruit) are dyed...also they contain a chemical called urushiol that can cause allergic reactions in some.

From Wikipedia:

Toxin and safety concerns

As with other tree seeds, aflatoxin is a toxin found in poorly harvested or processed pistachios. Aflatoxins are potent carcinogenic chemicals produced by molds such as Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus. The mold contamination may occur from soil, poor storage, and spread by pests. High levels of mold growth typically appear as gray to black filament-like growth. It is unsafe to eat mold-infected and aflatoxin-contaminated pistachios.[32] Aflatoxin contamination is a frequent risk, particularly in warmer and humid environments. Food contaminated with aflatoxins has been found as the cause of frequent outbreaks of acute illnesses in parts of the world. In some cases, such as Kenya, this has led to several deaths.[33]
Pistachio shells typically split naturally prior to harvest, with a hull covering the intact seeds. The hull protects the kernel from invasion by molds and insects. But this hull protection can be damaged in the orchard by poor orchard management practices, by birds, or after harvest, which makes it much easier for pistachios to be exposed to contamination. Some pistachios undergo so-called “early split,” wherein both the hull and the shell split. Damage or early splits can lead to aflatoxin contamination.[34] In some cases, a harvest may be treated to keep contamination below strict food safety thresholds; in other cases, an entire batch of pistachios must be destroyed because of aflatoxin contamination. In September 1997, the European Union placed its first ban on pistachio imports from Iran due to high levels of aflatoxin. The ban was lifted in December 1997 after Iran introduced and improved food safety inspections and product quality.[32]
Recycling the shells

Empty pistachio shells can be recycled in several ways. If unsalted, the shells need neither washing nor drying before reuse but washing is simple if this is not the case. Practical uses include as a fire starter, just as crumpled paper is used as kindling; to line the bottom of pots containing houseplants, for drainage and retention of soil for up to two years; as a mulch for shrubs and plants that require acid soils; as a medium for orchids; and as an addition to a compost pile designed for wood items that take longer to decompose than leafy materials, taking up to a year for pistachio shells to decompose unless soil is added to the mix. Shells from salted pistachios can also be placed around the base of plants to deter slugs and snails. Craft uses for the shells include Christmas tree ornaments, jewelry, mosaics, and rattles.[35] Research indicates that pistachio shells may be helpful in cleaning up pollution created by mercury emissions.[36]

mchambers

Former CCA member
Presumably the ones that are sold commercially in the U.S. are free of aflatoxin, or else Localzoo and my daughter would not be enjoying eating them.

Using them in the fireplace is an interesting idea, however.

chriscoli

Administrator
Yeah, although aflatoxin can be a concern.....you would not be eating them in the first place if there was a problem. Aflatoxin is not limited to pistachios either......peanut butter is routinely monitored for it as are other nut products.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I did a project in college around secondary uses for walnut farming bi-products

That was a long time ago but what I remember is that there were all sorts of environmental and regulatory issues around use of the hulls, shells, pulp, etc.

Thus my call for caution.

I'm no expert though. By all means fill your tank full of pistachios and report back how it works out.

Matt

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App[/QUOTE]

mchambers

Former CCA member
Black walnuts certainly are reported to have allelopathic properties, so that other plants can't grow around them. Makes sense to be cautious using them.

And I generally agree with your caution. I only used magnolia leaves in my tanks after doing some research.

If I were testing pistachio shells, I'd be careful, maybe soak them in water for a week, then add a red cherry shrimp or something like that for testing purposes.

Becca

Members
This is an interesting thread. Jeremy creates a bowl of pistachio shells almost every night and we just recently had a wood stove installed. Finding good kindling is more of a challenge than it ought to be, so that would be a great use for ours.

I bet they'd also improve drainage in my worm bin.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Hey Matt I've read tons if advice you have posted here and other places on the web. I generally agree with you, but it seems like you read about the toxin and made your conclusion? It's found in many places including milk, corn, and many other places. After doing some research I found there are many types they affect people differently some might kill you done cause liver damage etc...as for burning it I looked that up to make sure that the toxin degrades after being exposed to heat i found it does but at 160 degrees.

1st I was not planning on dumping them in my tank.

2nd we eat and use things that are harmful in our everyday lives. Yucca skin is used for fishing where my mom grew up bc of its numbing type effects. Ackee if picked while closed potatoes (green parts) develop solanine and if Ingested in large enough amounts, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, and even paralysis of the central nervous system. List goes on

3rd was going to do an experiment to see what happens to the water. I know using walnuts in certain cases can be harmful I know they use them to clean the hulls of large ships...not to get off topic...was curious if anyone could help set up some sort or experiment and had any experience doing things like that

Thank you for the info, though. That's how people make new strides. And maybe there are no benefits but who knows unless someone tries.

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, aflatoxin is nasty stuff, and can be a very potent carcinogen. My understanding is that the U.S. food supply is pretty safe as far as that particular toxin is concerned. In any event, I like peanuts and other nuts and understand that they are very healthy foods.

From reading The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell, I think I know that aflatoxin is particularly cancerous when combined with a diet high in animal proteins.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
I'm no expert, but from what I've read, aflatoxin is nasty stuff, and can be a very potent carcinogen. My understanding is that the U.S. food supply is pretty safe as far as that particular toxin is concerned. In any event, I like peanuts and other nuts and understand that they are very healthy foods.

From reading The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell, I think I know that aflatoxin is particularly cancerous when combined with a diet high in animal proteins.

I think the US does a really good job at keeping most of the Aspergillus flavus toxins in check /certain forms from entering the country but yes it's really nasty stuff but if I just ate them I'm assuming they are free of the toxin so i would be using those. As for peanuts I think they can carry the toxins as well based on what I've read.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2000/08/000802074641.htm
"Research indicates that pistachio shells may be helpful in cleaning up pollution created by mercury emissions."

Found some research from a state fair done a while ago.http://www.usc.edu/CSSF/History/2003/Projects/J0808.pdf

I am going to continue searching and next time I get pistachios try to set up an experiment.

Last edited: