• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

peacocks and zebras

dlfn1

Members
can peacocks and zebras go in the same tank?
if so, i'm guessing only a couple could go in a 40 breeder.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
What type of peacocks do you plan on using? Depending on the aggression of the fish, you may be able to house them long term in a 40. The larger more aggressive peacocks would do better in a small tank with mbuna. Probably a trio or quad of each would work, but you would have to observe initial behavior to be sure.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Most of the blue-variety zebras I've ever had have been real mean fish that get over 6". I have 2 blue zebras in my 180 right now. The larger one is pretty close to 8" and regularly (and sometimes violently) goes toe-to-toe with my 8" venustus. Red zebras are not bad though.

Right now, I'm keeping some peacocks in 40s with some mbuna, but they are typically the easier-going varieties.

Like Mike said, if you're interested in going with zebras, get some of the more hearty peacocks (Jakes).

Have you considered going with a smaller mbuna like the afra or elongatus? They generally max out 4" or so and are *generally* not nearly as mean as the zebras.

Last edited:

dlfn1

Members
thanks for the help.
ok, new plan...........
of the following fish, which ones can i put together and what ratios should i use in a 40 breeder

iodotropheus sprengerae (rusty cichlid)
aulonocara masoni
aulonocara maylandi (sulfurhead)
aulonocara stuartgranti (various ones)
labidochromis caeruleus (yellow lab)
pseudotropheus socolofi

i'm guessing that scianochromis fryeri should go in his own tank?

any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :)

forgot OB peacock

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Imo, one species peacock and one species mbuna. 1M/3-4F for the peacocks and maybe 2M/3-4F with the mbuna. Of course, the mbuna will be difficult to determine sex until they start breeding. So I'd say start with a group of 8 or so and remove excess males.

Under no circumstances should you mix peacock species unless you do only males. They will interbreed.

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
Without a doubt, leave the Rusty and Socolofi off your list. They are super nasty and very territorial even in a all male tank.

These guys should be okay with each other:

aulonocara masoni
aulonocara maylandi (sulfurhead)
aulonocara stuartgranti (various ones)
labidochromis caeruleus (yellow lab)

As for housing the Mbuna with Peacocks, always remember to have the Aulonocara's bigger than the Mbuna. Otherwise the Aulonocara's will be sleeping with the fishes.
:)

Right now I have several Mbuna with my large Peacocks, but they're in a 92 gallon so space is important. The bigger the tank the better in order to avoid casualties.

May the Force be the you
;)

RM