• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Oscar snack attack

quasar

Members
I have a serious question. I have an oscar thats about 7-8" long. Hes become the tank fat ***. He eats any and everything. He eats my brothers jaguars protein pellets, he eats some of the feeder fish i use for my snakehead, and he eats hamburgers i dont finish. My question is how often should i feed this monster and how much?
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Hicgup

Members
I would feed him twice a day. 5% to 7% of his body weight should be good. Pellets and earthworms are great. Feeder fish of course have risks, so I would skip them. Goldfish are bad because they have Thiaminase, but if he is getting a balanced diet may never be an issue. I'd skip the burgers too, even trimmed beefheart would only be a treat if I felt the need to feed beef, which I don't to an oscar. Oscars can get FAT, so make sure he gets plenty of exercise chasing other fish around the tank!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Fish aren't much different than people when it comes to weight. An over weight fish is an unhealthy fish. I wouldn't feed more than once a day, and take a day or two off every week.

Feed a good quality pellet like NLS or Xtreme. Maybe an earthworm every now and then. Do not feed hamburgers at all, ever. There is no reason to.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Do not feed hamburgers at all, ever. There is no reason to.

Yeah, hamburger is good for tropheus and some mbuna, but not so good for oscars. My duboisi go nuts over extra mustard and hot sauce. ;)

quasar

Members
Are tacos oscar friendly? Cuz he ate those today

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Quit trolling. If you have serious questions, then ask them. Otherwise, go bother another forum.

quasar

Members
Wow calm down buddy it was a jk....

mchambers

Former CCA member
It wasn't clear it was a joke, and you seemed to be mocking some of the responses. So I understand Jon's reaction.

Next time, consider an emoticon!

Serious questions welcomed, of course.

Hicgup

Members
I was so overloaded with dime size pigeon blood discus a while back that I used them as feeders, but not for my oscars.