• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Oreochromis tanganyicae

Ading522

Members
Just wanted to share some shots of my male.. He is getting some nice color.. I got him as wild caught from a fellow CCA member.. I'm getting to like him a lot!

Sent from my XT1060 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1392504492629.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1392504515530.jpg

Ading522

Members
Thanks.. Yeah..he did.. I'm loving the color he has now better..

Ading522

Members
Thanks Christine.. Actually I searched for some articles regarding this fish before I got it.. And I'm honestly not sure what got me into it in the first place ..probably because of the color.. These fish get really huge in the wild and I'm not sure how big they can get in captivity.. They are also known to be shoaling fish in the wild but so far, I think I've got a pair.. Breeding has been hard or maybe not reported in captivity..they have a habit of sucking in the film at the surface of the water.. Reminding me of a tilapia farm we used to get fresh fish from in my country.. Probably one of their feeding habits.. Loves hardy eater and high pH but I've had some spawning activity in a community tank at 7.8 pH.. Not picky eaters.. Eat a variety of NLS,frozen bloodworms ( by far their favorite ) black worms and occasional veggie flakes and lettuce bits.. In my experience. Really slow to color up.. I got them in a silver color and now coloring has begun..I hope to get him to color up like the picture I saw.. They have a pretty peculiar behavior and I think recognize me .. Jumpers..I can hear them jumping the surface of water at night although never really observed them.. Guess they try to chase around the smaller fish.. Will probably dedicate a tank to them once they reach the 7-8" mark.. The male is at 5.5" already..and I think the smaller one is female.. So far I like their slow transition from silver fish to ones with reddish and pink coloration.. :) maybe one day they'll spawn for me.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I kept a group of 6-7 of them in a 150g when I was in California...got them at about 3-4" and sold them when they were between 6" and 10-11"... They're not too aggressive but get BIG.

I either would have had to move them to one of the big rubbermaid tubs or get a bigger thank, so I got rid of them.

Matt