• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Orange Von Rio Tetras

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
Stopped in Exotic Aquatics this past weekend and they had a nice selection of fish as always. I noticed a few tanks of tetras marked "Orange Von Rio." I was very tempted to pick up a group, but all the staff were busy assisting customers and I hadn't had any experience with them so I decided to wait.

They were very bright and active, with a yellow and orange/red body. They seemed to chase each other a bit, and I was worried they could be potential fin-nippers. I went home and did some research online, but all reviews say the fish are peaceful and will readily breed in the aquarium. Another interesting thing I read was that these are line-bred Flame tetras. Anyone have experience with keeping these, or have more insight on the genetics?

I'm considering picking up a group of 12-20 to act as dithers in my 90 gallon geophagus community setup. Attached is a stock photo that represents what I saw.

von_rio-orange_flame-tetra.jpg

londonloco

Members
I have no experience with them, but have them on my list of fish I would like to keep someday. Tagging along for info also :)

I love these fish. I have always considered getting them for my tank, but I don't see them very often. They used to have them at SuperPets in Annandale before they "temporarily" closed. Maybe one day.

Arlene

longstocking

Members
I have some in my husbands tank... they do fine and aren't aggressive. One of my favs. that they carry that aren't cichlids. Past that... I don't know anything lol... just thought they were pretty so I bought them ;)

fishman13

Members
i have had experiance. they are like all other tetras. they just have a tiny hint of aggression. not so much aggression that you cant keep them with community fish