• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Optimal fry growth?

mscichlid

Founder
What do you guys do to get your fry to grow quickly?

I just started doing 10% water changes once a week. Should I step this up? I'm thinking of going to 50% a day, but I don't want their parents to spawn again, possibly jeapordizing the current spawn.

mrkillie

Members
Remove fry to their own tank. Feed 3-5 times per day with newly hatched baby brine shrimp, adding other foods as they grow. 50% or more water changes daily. That will get them growing real fast. Of course, increase tank size as appropriate.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Dave Schumacher was telling me he just switched his room over to auto-water-changing. With daily 20% water changes, there is a noticeable increase in growth rate.

Without an automated system, it's tougher to do, but I think that frequent water changes are a more healthy alternative to power-feeding.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I think it depends on the type of fry and how big you're trying to grow them.

To get substrate spawning cichlids to 3/4-1" or so (large enough to ship / sell), I use net breeders in a bare tank (other than just sponge / box filtration). You can concentrate feeding to them and easily do water changes.

Larger than 1" or so (which can take months) and tank size becomes a big factor. I think Frank uses kiddy pools :)

In general, warmer water, frequent water changes and more frequent water changes increase the rate of growth.

Matt

Scorp1us

Members
How important is it to maintain PH for those frequent water changes?

I found myself with a nursery tank. I've got 6-8 fish in it, 2 demasoni. (I counted two but I only ever see 1)
I'm not sure what the rest are. My water is neutral, but they shoudl be in 8.2... but does this matter when they are young?

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
How important is it to maintain PH for those frequent water changes?

I found myself with a nursery tank. I've got 6-8 fish in it, 2 demasoni. (I counted two but I only ever see 1)
I'm not sure what the rest are. My water is neutral, but they shoudl be in 8.2... but does this matter when they are young?

If they're Malawi fish, get them acclimated to tap and run with it. In my experience, no need to doctor water in order to raise or breed Malawi cichlids.

You can add crushed coral to the tank if you'd like, but entirely not necessary imo. Your fish will appreciate the cleaner water much more than they would the slightly higher pH.

Scorp1us

Members
Thank tony. They are. I run lace rock, which is also a limestone buffer AFAIK, on a silica (sand) substrate.

mrkillie

Members
Without an automated system, it's tougher to do, but I think that frequent water changes are a more healthy alternative to power-feeding.

Water changes AND frequent, small feedings are key. Fish tend to graze constantly in the wild, so frequent feedings are better.