• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

opinions on DIY air venting

daninmd

Members
for my 125 gallon tank, i got a 72" compact flourescent fixture. the total wattage on it is around 380w of lighting. the fixture came with two small 40mm air fans on one side that pull air thru the fixture. on the other side is two vents of cooresponding size.

as you can imagine the fixture can get pretty hot after running for a while.

i want to drastically increase the air flow going thru the fixture.

i am thinking about building a rectangular conduit that would tie into the two existing vent holes, and run the conduit to behind the tank whre i can tie it into a much much larger fan to push a lot more volume of air thru the fixture. this would also allow for the fresh air to hit the ballast first before it warms up which i think will be more efficient.

the conduit based on my calcs can be pretty slim in profile, porbably about 1" in height which i dont think will look bad.

i was thinking about constructing it will some sheets of balsa wood, but also thought about plexiglass. either way it will be painted black to match the fixture.

any suggestions on which materials to use??

Dan