• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ophthalmotilapia ventralis chaitika w N. Buescheri

tremper

Members
So my 150 gtall has been emptied of gravel and is awaiting sand. I only have a pair of n buescheri on the tank and am planning on adding a group of 4 young Ophthalmotilapia ventralis chaitika as well as some other fish which will hopefully create a little more activity in the tank allowing the buescheri to focus elsewhere.

I put a group of 5 white calvus into the tank, turned my back and within 20 minutes one had been badgered to death. Can I expect a similar situation with the featherfins?

I can relocate the buescheri but I'd rather not as mutiple tanks are not a realistic opportunity for me due to an extensive travel schedule.

I have a spare buescheri I wouldn't mind parting with as the other two seem to have coupled up. Not sure of the sex, though it is smaller than the largest in the tank. Which are the females here, large or small?

Any insights guys?

Thanks.

Charlutz

Members
Hey Joe -

Glad you got a pair out of those buescheri. :) The males are longer and thinner. You might be ok with the buescheri and ventralis. They would not work with furcifer/foai, but ventralis are aggressive. While they wouldn't kill the featherfins, the one problem you might have however is that the buescheri might nip the lappets off the male featherfins. They have very sharp teeth and did a good job on my foai. I love the buescheri. Pretty fish, but they are a lamp and behave like one.

tremper

Members
Thanks Charles. My 150 g tall is awaiting sand, I'm out of country again and doing things in fits and spurts. Currently it has the 3 buscheri and each has claimed a tall piece of driftwood as its territory. Should be interesting to see what happens when I dump in the featherfins and a few dithers.....

longstocking

Members
what is the foot print of this tank?

Being that the buescheri are already a pair that should help lots of problem you might have if they weren't. Keep them away from open sand areas by the way you decorate and you should be fine.