• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

one for all you herp lovers...

JasonC

Members
So I found a salamander in my in-laws basement yesterday and couldn't catch the darn thing... they are *fast*. Anyone good with local species? Dark brown, about 4 inches long including tail... honestly, maybe up to 6" including tail, two light brown/white narrow pinstripes running down sides of body.

Any clue on what type this is, and more importantly, any ideas on a bait/trap that I can use to humanely catch it?

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Sounds more like a skink than salamander. Google "common five linef skink" and "broad head" skink to see if either match.

JasonC

Members
Yeah... that's the lill bugger... errr.. buggerette as it would appear that what I saw was a female... no blue tail... though we have seen the blue tailed males around.

So... clues on trapping her?

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

spazmattik

Members
I was thinking skink too when i read this. I used to catch the blue tailed ones all the time at my grandmas house when i was little.

JasonC

Members
Maybe best to leave her be... must be a food supply present.

I tend to agree as they seem mostly harmless. My mother in law and wife may be a different story... don't think they really want to be down in the basement til it is found. Maybe I should explain that it is eating the bugs that they are more afraid of? lol!

daninmd

Members
WOW! I didn't realize there were skinks native to MD.

really? I see them all over the place. maybe Im just in a skink-heavy part of MD. oh wait...you said skinks ;) I read that as something different. ONE letter can really make a difference.

but back on topic I do see a lot of skinks around too.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
really? I see them all over the place. maybe Im just in a skink-heavy part of MD. oh wait...you said skinks ;) I read that as something different. ONE letter can really make a difference.

but back on topic I do see a lot of skinks around too.

Lol if you change that letter from an A to a U.... I see a lot of the ones with U's (skunks) down by the creek I also see a lot of salamanders but no skinks

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Greengirl

Members
I've caught a salamander or a newt in a local brook. I released it right away. But I never saw or heard of Skinks, that is awesome. Maybe this one is eating all the bugs and cricket. It will most likely run away when something big walks by so you may never have to worry about it. They are doing your lady a service. Just like rat snakes. Please don't kill them if you see them, they really do keep the rat population down.

daninmd

Members
I've caught a salamander or a newt in a local brook. I released it right away. But I never saw or heard of Skinks, that is awesome. Maybe this one is eating all the bugs and cricket. It will most likely run away when something big walks by so you may never have to worry about it. They are doing your lady a service. Just like rat snakes. Please don't kill them if you see them, they really do keep the rat population down.

there are a ton of native newts/salamanders in MD: http://wwwnew.towson.edu/herpetology/Amphibians.htm

very cool