• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

On my way to the Amazon

mab

Members
Sitting in the airport in Bogota as I type this note. Will arrive late tonight in Lima and then grab flight in the morning to Iqiutos.

I'm searching for fish for myself, Sam, Jesse, and Caleb.

Also have one order for pencilfish from a PVAS member.

Flights uneventful, free flowing Johnny Walker helps immensely.

If I luck into wifi in Peru I'll post more.

Michael

minifoot77

Members
maybe but you should check it out i had an idea for a "plug" for the end by the net but wanted to ask you about it first.....

YSS

Members
Good luck on your trip, Michael. Hope you pick up some nice discus. And if you have some to spare, I would love to get some when you come back. :)

mab

Members
Sitting in <hotelñ in Iquitos while crew loads. Leaving soon for the boat and will be collecting in acouple hours. Visited one exprter yesterday, chichles, <nanay angels, cories, tetra, etc. etc.

Will be bck to Iquitos on <friday.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Actually he should have gotten back Friday and is probably on his way back to civilization today. I sure hope fishing was good. Early reports indicated high water which is never good.

Let us know how it went Mike.

George

verbal

CCA Members
I heard from Michael. They caught a bunch of angels, caught 5 cory species and some discus. They also purchased 2 cory species.

They had one species of blackwater pleco in their catches.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
They purchased two Cory species!

That is very good news indeed, hope that at least one of them is destined for my neck of the woods, or perhaps I should say 'bog'. Might be just the excuse needed to fill up the 72" 100 that's been sitting empty for so many months.

To a safe homecoming (and prosperous emigrations).

mab

Members
Actually he should have gotten back Friday and is probably on his way back to civilization today. I sure hope fishing was good. Early reports indicated high water which is never good.

Let us know how it went Mike.

George

Devon really surprised us by an offer of an extra day on the Nanay. We all readily agreed to returning on Saturday. Cut short visits to fishermen and exporters. Visited about seven fishermen, two consolidators, and two exporters. One consolidator in Belem had a discus for 10 soles (2.74 to the dollar) and I managed to get five more in Santa Clara for 63 soles. Only one is a 'semi-' red-spotted green - hope exporter ships it!!! Seems that they've been heavily fished to the point that most don't show that trait due to limited gene pool. One exporter had 5 plus about 25 "commons'. He stated he'd only sell the the red-spotted greens if purchaser would buy all - wanted $100 each for the best - fishermen sell them to exporters for 80-100 soles.

Black water river was a very different biotope - ph 4.8-5, and tds around 10, and ms around 20. Close to 200 species caught. Some amazingly large and delicious cats and piranhas caught off the back of the boat - Ian Fuller and friends said Catfish Study group would be incredulous about them eating fish and chips made from cats that would sell for 200 pounds sterling in the UK. We have about 100 Nanay angels - Peruvian altums - Caleb gets first pick. We also have several hundred Corydoras atropersonatus and CW123 (yellow cory). Also lots of a really nice large size oto - oxyropsis species. Bought some really nice peckoltias - Jesse has first pick to some or all. Will post prices each when/if they arrive next week.

Last edited:

mab

Members
Sitting in <hotelñ in Iquitos while crew loads. Leaving soon for the boat and will be collecting in acouple hours. Visited one exprter yesterday, chichles, <nanay angels, cories, tetra, etc. etc.

Will be bck to Iquitos on <friday.

Wife sent a reply email that my emails coming out of Iquitos were garbled. Knew internet was slow and others said packets were being dropped. Wow, didn't realize it was that bad.

YSS

Members
That's pretty awesome, Michael. Would love to see and buy some cories. Will you have discus on sale as well?