• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Official CCA Dictionary

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
So as the title says, this thread will serve as the official Capitial Cichlid Association dictionary.

As a dictionary, and specific to the Capital Cichlid Association *hereinafter "CCA"), this thread will contain words that only us fish geeks may understand.

This year, the terms: "retweet," "bromance," "fist-bump" and "cougar" (yes the last was already there, but they added an alternate meaning, lol.) were added to the Merrian-Webster dictionary. Unlike cool words like "bromance," our terminology - while every bit as important (while maybe less culturally-relevant), will probably never end up in said dictionary.

So as the forefront of finned-obsession population of the area, we must endeavor to assist the next generation of "the chosen few" who have decided that yes, all the water changes are indeed worth it.

I proudly present:

THE OFFICIAL CAPITAL CICHLID ASSOCIATION DICTIONARY

Here's how it goes:

Feel free to post definitions or comments. These words may be originals or common "lake slang" (aka "river slang") that you've heard in the local illegal rare-fish bodega on the corner. Stories of their origination (or the first time you were introduced to them) are more that invited.

I'll start out:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hackey-sack - verb.

-Definition: The act of using one's foot to deflect/cushion the blow between a falling fish and the ground.

-Example: "Oh my god, I can't believe I just hackey-sacked that suicidal hap that decided that he'd take his chances with the concrete floor over the 3-mil bag! Cat-like reflexes, dude!"

-The rest of the story: Yup.. cat-like reflexes, dude. (Though weird to have to explain wounds received from having the top of your foot "spiked.")

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You guys smell what I'm cooking?

Come on - Edumacate me and the club.

(Happy hurricane, kids)

Last edited: