• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Odd Reproductive Behaviour in Red Jewell Cichlid

MHMoro

CCA Members
I have a 55G tank with some peacocks, frontosa, venustus and only one red jewel that most of the time has a nice red coloration. For the past 3 days this fish developed a very intense red coloration and became agressive toward the other fish in the tank. Today I found out that the red jewel is a female that was laying eggs in one of the decorative rocks. She is still protecting the unfertile eggs!. Does anyone seen this type of behaviour in any african cichlid:eek:. I known that there are reports of 2 females "pairing" up and laying eggs but I have not come across reports mentioning lone (single) females laying eggs.

Definitively this fish needs a mate!:blush:

Manuel

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
It is not uncommon to have a lone female lay and guard unfertilized eggs. In case you did not know, jewels are west african river species that come from water that has an almost neutral ph. Your otherfish are east african rift lake species that are found at much higher ph ranges.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Except...

..that his is probably F20 or so, grew up is alkaline tap water and is tough as nails. Certainly not too stressed if it's laying eggs. If they weren't so mean I'd probably keep some as they are surely stunning even when not spawning.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Agreed. I was not suggesting that it was stressed. I was unsure whether or not he knew this fact. Often times lfs sell jewels in their african section and people assume they are from the same location. I keep a pair with larger south americans. They hold their own and when they breed, the eggs are quickly eaten by my irwini catfish, thus keeping the aggression down.

..that his is probably F20 or so, grew up is alkaline tap water and is tough as nails. Certainly not too stressed if it's laying eggs. If they weren't so mean I'd probably keep some as they are surely stunning even when not spawning.

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I have a 55G tank with some peacocks, frontosa, venustus and only one red jewel that most of the time has a nice red coloration. For the past 3 days this fish developed a very intense red coloration and became agressive toward the other fish in the tank. Today I found out that the red jewel is a female that was laying eggs in one of the decorative rocks. She is still protecting the unfertile eggs!. Does anyone seen this type of behaviour in any african cichlid:eek:. I known that there are reports of 2 females "pairing" up and laying eggs but I have not come across reports mentioning lone (single) females laying eggs.

Definitively this fish needs a mate!:blush:

Manuel

Don't be surprised by her behavior because I've actually seen it happen with a Red Devil and an Oscar. Now if you decide to get a male, forget about it brother! Because that male will begin to kill everything in sight cause they're real nasty.

Nevertheless, the color that they emanate is absolutely beautiful, but with it comes a price and that price is relentless aggression. So think it over before you make a decision.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
If the tank is large enough and busy enough, you can house a pair of jewels with minimal aggression. My male is only aggressive when there are eggs to guard. My female is often the more aggressive of the two.

2011-10-14_13-07-55_681.jpg

MHMoro

CCA Members
Nice tank Andrew!.

Yes I knew that red jewell's water parameters are different from cichlids from the great african lakes. Still, like Samuel indicated, after so many generations of being raised in neutral pH and moderately hard water (here in the USA) they will most likely be OK with other fish raised under the same conditions.

Manuel:D

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Nice tank Andrew!.

Yes I knew that red jewell's water parameters are different from cichlids from the great african lakes. Still, like Samuel indicated, after so many generations of being raised in neutral pH and moderately hard water (here in the USA) they will most likely be OK with other fish raised under the same conditions.

Manuel:D

I agree that they will be fine in water with a higher Ph. Plus, they will look even better contrasting against the holey rock or lighter colored rocks typically found in EAC set-ups. Not to mention that there are not a whole lot of brilliant red fish coming out of the rift lakes.