• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

OCA reportage

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Well it's five hours from DC if you like to 'get it on' a wee bit, seems one has has to really be impertinent (80-85+) to get pulled over on the PA turnpike. I didn't, and going there Saturday AM was like race day what with a bunch of us doing 90 mph. Rock and roll.

I bought:
6 Guernica sphenozas for $30
6 Unidentified Columbian severums for $20 - they get big and blue with red bellies
2 M/F pair of Sturisoma (long & anorexic) catfish for $32
10 Apisto macmasteri for $20
1 trio of all black guppies for $20
1 trio or red Apisto cacuatoides for $12
6 German rams for $15
1 trio of big honking Thoricthys ellioti for $24 (+ $3 auction express fee)
10-12 Red Ceibal juvies for $10
8-10 Laetecara dorsegeri for $10

A five gallon bucketful of driftwood and some food from Plecocaine (is that a great name or what?).

As of this morning everyone appeared to have survived. Really wanted some juvenile Cyps or Paracyps to keep my sand sifters company but they were all $45+/bag of 4 or 5.

Everyone claimed that the last couple years they've had 1200+ bags of fish at the auction. Thinking they were nowhere near that but as there was a swap meet the day before (specifically to minimize the historic auction glut) that may have diminished the bag count by 150 or so. Still a lot of fish at the auction itself, but almost no Corydoras to speak of, no Apistos, guppies, invertebrates (except a couple bags of shrimp) or livebearers at all, less than a dozen bags of plants (a few punky anubias and cryps only), a couple of lone discus, maybe a couple dozen bags of juvie angels (blacks and kois), half a dozen bags of Geos (including an adult pair of altifrons), a couple Aspidoras, a couple Gymnogeos, a dozen bags of juvenile Thoricthys mixtecas and longipinnis and 2 big trios of eliotis, and other than plecos (lots of those but no L204s - sorry Shawn) that was about it for New World other than a few bags of snarky species like red jewels and jaguars.

Best of show was a 5" male Firemouth that challenged and flared at everyone that got close to his wee little tank. Well deserved.

Room sales definitely favored Rift species and plecos and seemed things were way more expensive than the Catfish Convention where I got the impression that people were more interested in just covering their costs and sharing fish than making a profit. Faced with the prospect of going again not sure that I would. Sort of have to buy a lot of fish to make it worth the investment unless you just like jawing with fish fanatics and who needs it? Next thing you know you're joining a club and going to meetings. Sheesh.

chris_todd

Members
Sounds like fun! I'd be interested in eventually getting a pair of macmasteri from you. I assume the ones you got are juvies?

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

mrkillie

Members
Sounds like you got some good deals. Even the Cyps at $45/bag of 4 or 5 is good, considering they usually go for $16-18 each most lists I've seen.

What is Guernica sphenozas ? - got nothing on a search.

kaj41354

Members
Glad you missed the bag of Paracyps that I got for $22. All in all everything was going for a good price. Higher than some but way below retail.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Suppose gloating over another's lack of success is one way to express satisfaction...

...never mine I hope.

I passed on some Paracyps at that price at the swap meet the day before thinking there would be more for less at the auction. Oops.

So what is retail price for juvenile P. nigripinnis at a LFS? Are Cyps about the same?

Glad you missed the bag of Paracyps that I got for $22. All in all everything was going for a good price. Higher than some but way below retail.

Spine

Members
I had fun attending the OCA extravaganza. Marge and I drove together,I'll post the fish I got later.

zenins

Members
Still a lot of fish at the auction itself, but almost no Corydoras to speak of
There were bags of some kind of black schultzi or schwartzi that were going for very high prices, around $30 or $40

During the manufacturer's auction, I did get a bag of 12 corys not used for the kids tanks for $15. There were 3 species in that grab bag :D

half a dozen bags of Geos (including an adult pair of altifrons),
I almost bid on those Altifrons to add to the ones I already have, but then reality set in ... I have no room left in that tank :rolleyes:

Best of show was a 5" male Firemouth that challenged and flared at everyone that got close to his wee little tank. Well deserved.
I think I got a photo of it, I will post some photos later this week ...

It was the first OCA Convention that I have attended, I had a good time buying fish and meeting people, I even got to visit a couple of Cleveland fish shops :)

kaj41354

Members
Paracyps can usually be found for between 15-20each plus shipping. Cyps depend on the variety but between 18 - 30 each

...never mine I hope.

I passed on some Paracyps at that price at the swap meet the day before thinking there would be more for less at the auction. Oops.

So what is retail price for juvenile P. nigripinnis at a LFS? Are Cyps about the same?

Plenipotentiary-at-large
I have alway relied on the kindness of strangers...

...as no one whom knows me is so inclined. Never take $ from club members so I'll give them to you or you can trade me something. Let me get them grown up a bit and see what I've got.

Spine

Members
Finally getting around to listing what fish I got at OCA.

Hemichromis - bimaculatus,lafalili,cristatus

Gephrychromis morri

Pelvicachromis Subocellotus "Moanda"

Enantiopus melanogenys

Cyanostictus Kipili "Yellow Bar" (not sure if this name is correct they where labeled as Kipili Yellow Bar)

Oreochromis niloticus

Tilapia snyderae

Thorichthys - affinis,"Gold" mixteco

Aquidennce diadema

Laetacara dorsigerus

Pseudomugil connieae (rare)

Hmmm.. looking at this list you would think that all I keep are africans,lol
I got some new world stuff,that should help balance things out:D:D:D

kaj41354

Members
Kevin, Those P. conniae are absolutely fabulous fish. I have been lucky enough to see them in a school in one of Eric's tanks. If you are interested you can read his report on them in the GPASI newsletter at http://gpasi.org/aug10fin.pdf . He describes all that is needed for their care and spawning. Good luck with all your fish.

Finally getting around to listing what fish I got at OCA.

Hemichromis - bimaculatus,lafalili,cristatus

Gephrychromis morri

Pelvicachromis Subocellotus "Moanda"

Enantiopus melanogenys

Cyanostictus Kipili "Yellow Bar" (not sure if this name is correct they where labeled as Kipili Yellow Bar)

Oreochromis niloticus

Tilapia snyderae

Thorichthys - affinis,"Gold" mixteco

Aquidennce diadema

Laetacara dorsigerus

Pseudomugil connieae (rare)

Hmmm.. looking at this list you would think that all I keep are africans,lol
I got some new world stuff,that should help balance things out:D:D:D

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Enantiopus melanogenys

What did those end up going for? Only thing there I hated to walk away from...