• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

NoVa/DC Metro/MD living

iamzrad

Members
I know most of you guys are in the NoVa/Rockville/DC Metro area.

My current job is in Dulles, VA and I live in Baltimore. Let's just say the commute is not pretty. I need to move closer as soon as possible, but I just don't know where exactly to go.
I like the Rockville/Gaithersburg area as well as Bethesda. It's not that I wouldn't mind living in Virginia, but Dulles is 20mins from Maryland (via 495, etc) and I'd rather just stay in MD. But I am open to living in NoVa.
It would most likely start out it in an apartment/condo (1-br, 1 & 1/2-baths, possibly a den), then slowly getting more familiar with the area to go buy a house.
I know the closer to DC, the more expensive it is to live.

Any advice guys?

Prince

The ONE who is The ONE
If you plan on moving to Montgomery county expect to pay mortage money for rent. The apartments are rediculasly expensive in rockville and Bethesda.

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

dogofwar

CCA Members
I like montgomery village but I work near king farm in Rockville.

It's a bit more affordable than Rockville but still convenient to metro and lots of stuff to do.

If I were a single guy I wouldn't live here, though ;)

Matt

YSS

Members
If you work in Dulles and you think you are going to be there for a few years, then I recommend moving to Herndon, Reston, or Fairfax area. I am biased becaue I live in VA, but it's not too bad... Welcome to VA. ;)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Two words: Rock Ville. :)

Used to live there and commute to Tysons. Wasn't terrible, but wasn't great to be honest. 25 minutes in the morning with construction hours, but could be an hour at 5:00 on the way home.

Much batter than the current commute from Gaithersburg to Blabensburg...

Screw personal property tax.

(I am a bit biassed though)

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
I hear ya tony. Traffic isn't getting any better either its getting worse.Its seems va didn't get the memo on the tea party in boston. Way too many taxes in va....property tax...luxury tax....the infamous city sticker racket....u don't know tax...another hidden tax.....then regular and income taxes...SO GLAD I DON'T LIVE IN VA ANYMORE. Phil id way both travel and economics on this one. Rent may be better in va but check out the other economic factors. Good luck bro. Shoot me a pm and lemme know what I owe you for that project.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
Phil- If you could swing the price, bethesda or close to rockville town center seems like a good place for a young, single person to live... at least for a while. Having only lived in Maryland (MoCo), I am sadly, used to the high price of living and everything associated with it, but also happy where I live. Oh, I commute from Germantown to Takoma Park M-F, so I know all about commutes and traffic.

NYfan78

Members
Anywhere in this area is going to be expensive! We live in Columbia, MD and I can't wait to move to NJ!!!

F8LBITE

Members
check out condos and houses off of Algonkian Pkwy in Sterling. my buddy lives there his townhouse is pretty cheap and its near Dulles.

iamzrad

Members
Thanks guys. See the thing is, I really don't want to move to where I work. My company is expanding everyday and I am sure new offices will occur in the future.
But I plan on working in this area (NoVa, DC Metro) for a while.

Anything about Alexandria?

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I have a buddy who is looking to rent his 2 BR townhouse in Sterling (near Rt 7 and Rt 28 intersection) sometime this summer. PM me if you are interested.

bertolli

Members
alexandria sucks when it comes to traffic, i lived up on eisenhower avenue condos for about 6 months a few years ago the area seemed alright

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
I really like the alexandria area but the commute might not be good. If you like paying taxes MD is the place for you. If your company is as fluid as you say I would just stay put and wait awhile. I live in Reston and like this area but I'm old and the young night life seems to be in toward the city.

If you were really smart you would be looking at jobs in Hotlanta, California, or Florida. Living here sucks but you just haven't figured it out yet.

George

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
If you were really smart you would be looking at jobs in Hotlanta, California, or Florida. Living here sucks but you just haven't figured it out yet.

George
Spoken like a true curmudgeon. You're already retired George, yet you stay in the area. What's your excuse? Too old and stubborn to leave?

Phil-I'm doing almost the opposite of what you're doing, but for similar reasons. I live in upper MoCo and commute to Baltimore. I like where I live but have no desire to live near Baltimore and can't find a good job near me. Rockville, Gaithersburg and Germantown are good options. The further up 270 you go, the cheaper rent gets. Public transit is good until Germantown. Once you get past Germantown public transit exists but not run as well in the burbs.

South of Gaithersburg you won't find much for less than $800 a month. What's your range? Gas in the Z eating a hole in your wallet?

Let me know if you need more advice (but stay out of VA!)

SubMariner

Master Jedi & Past VP
I think it's a toss up between The Rockville Town Center area or Alexandria, despite the fact that VA to me is the Bermuda Triangle. LOL!

It all looks the same and someone is always getting lost. :) So if you like driving in circles than VA is for you.

RM

Shinchan

Members
Two words: Pimmit Hills (Fairfax Co. adjascent to Falls Church). Look at it on a map. Right next to the Beltway, 66, 7 and the Dulles Toll Road. Rents are running around $1500 for a 3 bedroom-1 bath single-family house. And before any of you wiseacres bring it up, it is no longer overrun with biker gangs :rolleyes:

iamzrad

Members
Spoken like a true curmudgeon. You're already retired George, yet you stay in the area. What's your excuse? Too old and stubborn to leave?

Phil-I'm doing almost the opposite of what you're doing, but for similar reasons. I live in upper MoCo and commute to Baltimore. I like where I live but have no desire to live near Baltimore and can't find a good job near me. Rockville, Gaithersburg and Germantown are good options. The further up 270 you go, the cheaper rent gets. Public transit is good until Germantown. Once you get past Germantown public transit exists but not run as well in the burbs.

South of Gaithersburg you won't find much for less than $800 a month. What's your range? Gas in the Z eating a hole in your wallet?

Let me know if you need more advice (but stay out of VA!)

Gas isn't the problem, more of commuting distance. 1hr 25min in the morning, 2hrs in the evening. It's hell.

Price range, somewhere around $1k/mo. 1br, 1bath, maybe a den/extra room for now. Will grow to a house in a year or so.

I think it's a toss up between The Rockville Town Center area or Alexandria, despite the fact that VA to me is the Bermuda Triangle. LOL!

It all looks the same and someone is always getting lost. :) So if you like driving in circles than VA is for you.

RM

Ha. There are three things I hate in life: Liars, Cheaters and 495 traffic.

Two words: Pimmit Hills (Fairfax Co. adjascent to Falls Church). Look at it on a map. Right next to the Beltway, 66, 7 and the Dulles Toll Road. Rents are running around $1500 for a 3 bedroom-1 bath single-family house. And before any of you wiseacres bring it up, it is no longer overrun with biker gangs :rolleyes:

If I plan on staying here and commit to working in NoVa/DC, I want to live somewhere close to access roads, 495/66/Dulles Toll Rd, etc.

I really like the alexandria area but the commute might not be good. If you like paying taxes MD is the place for you. If your company is as fluid as you say I would just stay put and wait awhile. I live in Reston and like this area but I'm old and the young night life seems to be in toward the city.

George

Oh, I have. But if I move away, I plan on going to school. Which going to school, working full time and living costs will be insane. There's grad school which is coming up even though it's for Spring 2011. My three "top" choicest are in MD (MICA), NY (Columbia), and CA (CalArts).

I know job opportunities are plenty in this area (I'm a web and graphic designer), but the real places to work are, NY, FL, TX, and CA. Which is where I see my future.

minifoot77

Members
say no to california!!!!!!!! sorry you could live better here on 10/hour than you can in cali for 25.... i was born and raised/lived there for 24-25 years.....