• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nitrate locks for GBR

Adman87

Members
Hi all, I've patiently setup and cycled a new tank for a pair of GBRs which I finally got yesterday! I'm lucky in that I have access to great RO water from my lab building that is pH 6. I was wondering however if you guys would recommend a nitrate/ammonia lock solution (like API). The tank just has 2 GBRs and 6 Rummynose tetras so it should be a pretty small bioload.

Any thoughts??

Also, could someone please confirm I have a girl and a guy? I'm pretty sure I picked them right, but I'm new to GBRs.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1354717497.830609.jpg

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd add a mature sponge filter to the tank.

Prime or CloramX are dechlors that also bind ammonia and nitrate.

Looks like a male ram.

Matt

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'd just use Prime as the water conditioner, which supposedly reduces or detoxifies ammonia and nitrates.

I only see one fish, and I think it's a male. If you have a GBR with a pink belly, it's a female.

Adman87

Members
Whoops I guess the other didn't attach. Here she (hopefully) is.

So water conditioners like that are on for routine use? Also, anyone have experience with these fish? Are they really as difficult as their reputation says?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1354725956.090203.jpg

mchambers

Former CCA member
I'm no expert, but I'd say female, based on pink on belly and light blue spangles in the middle of the dark blue spot.

GBRs are somewhat more difficult than some other fish. They have relatively short lifespans and are more sensitive to water conditions than many fish. Some folks here are very successful with them, however.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
If the tank is still cycling, you don't want to add a product that binds ammonia/nitrite because it will slow the buildup of beneficial bacteria.

Once you have the tank cycled, you still shouldn't need the product as the bacteria will handle the ammonia/nitrite.

For nitrates, considering your small bioload, normal water changes will take care of them.

I'd say the vast majority of folks here only use ammonia binding products (other than Prime/Safe) in cases of emergencies or to ship fish. Prime and Safe (or Amquel...) are used primarily to remove chlorine/chloramine from water when doing water changes.

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Better living without chemicals

Lab rat and chemical lover you may be, but the tank's bacteria and modest regular water changes should be more than sufficient, and more so if you take the excellent advice to add a sponge (pre-) filter to your existing filtration. If you get some plant growth established this will additionally contribute to improving water quality and diminishing nitrate levels.

The only thing that many keepers ever add to water is some form of de-chlor, and seems you may not even need that considering your water source.