• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Ngara Flametail juvie

monfrey29

Members
Ok, now I bought a juvie flametail from Dave's fish here in San Antonio. When I bought I took my chances on it being male or female. It's about two inches now and I still have yet to see any color. Well there is a little, but very little blue on the under part of its cheeks. That color has been there since I bought it. None of it has come through though. I did notice golden egg spots appearing (turning gold) on the anal fin. So my question is, can females have golden egg spots on their anal fin as well as the males? I can't really provide a picture for it since it doesn't really sit still long enough. I also know that they are the one peacock cichlid that takes longer to mature. So insight would be greatly appreciated. Well here are a few pics.
Sent from my YP-G70 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1336443525918.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1336443545862.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1336443562437.jpg

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
They do take a long time to color. While eggspots on peacocks aren't a reliable way to tell gender, the hint of blue in his face is a good sign that he is a boy.

monfrey29

Members
Looking forward then on seeing the results. Fingers crossed. Thanks!

monfrey29

Members
In the tank with him are Bengal yellow, red shoulder hybrid, Frontosa, yellow lab, BS pleco, multi syno. All are juveniles which are showing nice color on peacocks. In a 40B.

verbal

CCA Members
In the tank with him are Bengal yellow, red shoulder hybrid, Frontosa, yellow lab, BS pleco, multi syno. All are juveniles which are showing nice color on peacocks. In a 40B.

Sounds like he should color up pretty well in that tank.

DiscusnAfricans

Past President
I've found this particular type of fish to take a while to show good color. They are beautiful fish when fully colored, but not the most assertive. My females have gold egg spots, so its not a distinguishing characteristic for this species. In the presence of other colored males, he may subdue his color to avoid being picked on. Isolating him may lead him to color up faster, but colors can change when reintroduced.

Part of the process of developing tanks starting with juvies is waiting for the color to develop. Its just a process you'll have to be patient with. You're lucky to have Dave as a local source. Starting with quality stock is one of the most important steps towards a successful community.