• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Newest Fish-n. Nigriventris

Very small and not very active. Sitting in the back of the tank, moping. :(

1aNigriventris021307.jpg

Sarah, Daniel...I'm trying to feed them crushed NLS. But they aren't eating. Any suggestions?

Can't wait for them to start looking like their parents...
Neo2.jpg

longstocking

Members
I was feeding small fish NLS, Golden Pearls, Cyclopse ez, and HBH graze.

Do you have a pic of the tank? To make sure they have enough hiding spots.... and aren't stressed because of that.

Their gut looks full... so you've got plenty of time. Check their water perameters? Mine are.... 8.2 ph, 15 kh, 6 gh.

They do kinda just sit.... they are a weird fish. But when they move they are sooooo gracefull.

I took the rocks out Sunday during the water changes to clean them. Waiting for a thorough dryout before I put them back in. They are petrified wood and I give them a bleaching every six months or so.

When I get it set up I'll show you a pic of the tank. For now it's just aragonite sand in there.

Btw, they are moving around a little now.

D

daniel4832

Bobby,
The only thing that I would add to Sarah's suggestions is to add a lot of hiding places, and keep the lights off, as they are a deep water fish and like to hide in the rock rubble.
Good luck,
Daniel

longstocking

Members
I didn't have lights on my grow out tank. Just natural light from the window. That may be part of the problem... plus no hiding spots from the lights.

I didn't have lights on my grow out tank. Just natural light from the window. That may be part of the problem... plus no hiding spots from the lights.
[/b]

Lights are off now. And I'll keep them off except when I feed them. They'll have a nice home...promise. :D

Sarah, so you don't have to worry about your babies. I added the rocks to the 20L a little while ago. All three are out and about. Flaring fins and looking for food. Looking good. :D

These little guys are doing great. They love the hiding places and ledges that are provided by the petrified wood rocks.

Only problem is that, until they get their natural dark color, they seem to blend in the aquascaping...too well. :(

2aNigriventrisJuvy021707.jpg

3aNigriventrisJuvy022707.jpg

4aNigriventrisJuvy030207.jpg

5aNigriventrisJuvy030307.jpg

Laxison

Members
Ohhhh that third picture is really neat! It looks like he/she is heading into a deep cavern or something!! Very nice!!

maddog10

Members
Bobby, the pale color does pretty much suck for photography, but in the fishes defense...it works darn good for survival. :p

longstocking

Members
Stunning shots. I like the third shot as well :)

They will gradually get darker and darker as they get older. When they start breeding the male will turn black. The female will get a bit darker than their usuall coloring when breeding... but stay that half and half color.

They spawned again for me... but I can only see one fry so far...

These guys have such small spawns !!!! Buescheri have bigger spawns !

longstocking

Members
Looks great !

Bobby... I'm 99% positive you've got 1 male 2 females ( even at that size ). So... one of them should get really dark

Just curious... hows the aggression? Your rock work looks great... different from how I have mine ( but you know that :lol: )

If you have problems or want more... I have about 15 fry at the moment.

Bobby... I'm 99% positive you've got 1 male 2 females ( even at that size ). [/b]

I'm not the expert....but...I think I have two males and one female. :p

What sex do you think the fish is that is posed on the ledge in the last photos? I think it is a male. And I know the one peeking through the rocks is a male.

They are three different sizes as they mature. There is one that stays in the "valley" outside of the rocks to the left side of the pix. It is the smallest. I think SHE is avoiding the other two. The other two seem to be more aggressive to each other.

Just guessing at this stage though. :rolleyes:

longstocking

Members
Looking at the length of the face.... female. Fins are also a bit rounded... but at this size I wouldn't rely on that.

The face/snout gives it away .... The snout is shorter in females. They are still young... I could be wrong ( I love to guess sex at this size in fish .... I love to see if I'm right in the long run lol.... just a game a I play with myself ... I know I'm lame :lol: )

longstocking

Members
lol not a gambler :p

Ok well... I lik the occasional penny poker game with friends... or the black jack tables in vegas :p

LOL... thats an idea for the x-mas party .... fish poker :lol: