• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New plan for 56 G tall

dhavalsp

Members
So after an over stretched internal debate with myself, I have finally sold my discus. That 56 G was just not adequate for 4 full grown discus.

What i am left with is,

Moderately planted 56 G tall tank.
PFS for substrate
Cleaning crew: 2 corys, 2 small ABN (less than 2 inch),
fillers: 6 neons

This is just the kinda of situation you want to be in (or rather not) few days before the CCA meeting.

Any suggestions/ recommendations on fish to keep? Personally I like to keep fish which would sell easily when grown or has a demand at full grown size?

Thanks,

dhaval

dhavalsp

Members
I dont think i have ever kept an herbivorous fish before...

few Qs on tropheus,

how fast do they grow? I dont see getting a bigger tank - will a group of 12( recommended number) do well in 56 G tall for atleast a year? planning to get them at 1 inch.

Water temp?

Will have to get rid of all 3 - corys, tetras and pleco?

Tangcollector

Staff member
I dont think i have ever kept an herbivorous fish before...

few Qs on tropheus,

how fast do they grow? I dont see getting a bigger tank - will a group of 12( recommended number) do well in 56 G tall for atleast a year? planning to get them at 1 inch.

Water temp?

Will have to get rid of all 3 - corys, tetras and pleco?

What I am about to tell you is my personal experience. I have had good luck with Tropheus with the exception of one shipment of unhealthy fish.You will ask 100 people and get 100 different answers. so here it is.

Tropheus will go from about 1" to 3"-4" in about a year. You will have to get rid of everything else because Tropheus are best kept in hard alkaline water and those other fish are not. PH 8.2-8.4 should work well. People will tell you that they have kept them in water as low as 7.6 but IME you will get the best color and activity in the higher range. The water must be kept real clean. Lots of Water changes. Temp 75-79 seems to work just fine. You may notice the aggression increase at the higher ranges. They need oxygen and circulation.

But the real problem I see is They really need to be in a 48" tank and as your tank will work for a while it is not ideal.
And as far as diet nothing but green flake food of good quality. The best ones I have seen are Ken's tropheus flake food and Cobalt Spirulina. As a treat I give mine some Cobalt Mysis Spirulina occasionally. There are mixed reviews on giving them pellets, I have done it occasionally but I pretty much stick to the flake foods.
If you decide to get them I will be happy to help you anyway I can.

dhavalsp

Members
One thing i am really not comfortable with is messing with water chemistry externally. I mean, i will do my WC religiously with lot of care, treat tap water with dechlorinator and introduce it at right temp.

i have been reading on tropheus and i have started liking them but with no plans to upgrade the tank volume, i am better off with some other species.

Greg, can you identify the fish you have in your Avatar? I rememebr seeing something similar at the auction earlier this week.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Dhaval

Jt731

Members
http://www.davesfish.com/images/Neolamprologus pulcher Kantalamba.jpg

I saw a post on Facebook of red moliro tropheus. I may be in love

Picture2_edited-29.jpg

Becca

Members
You should give West Africans a try. Even the more common ones like Pelvicachromis pulcher sell reasonably well. They are beautiful fish, adjust to a wide range of water conditions, like plants but don't need them, and will spawn readily if given a cave along with regular feeding and maintenance. They don't even need live or frozen food to get them to breed. There are several fish available in the Pelvicachromis group and there are also Teleogramma (recently on one of Josh's lists) and Victorian/Egyptian mouthbrooder types.

Tangcollector

Staff member
One thing i am really not comfortable with is messing with water chemistry externally. I mean, i will do my WC religiously with lot of care, treat tap water with dechlorinator and introduce it at right temp.

i have been reading on tropheus and i have started liking them but with no plans to upgrade the tank volume, i am better off with some other species.

Greg, can you identify the fish you have in your Avatar? I rememebr seeing something similar at the auction earlier this week.

Please let me know.

Thanks,

Dhaval
Thanks,
Sorry I was out of town and just saw this. That fish is a Neolamprologus Pulcher Daffodil. I have lots of them if you are interested. They are a great fish and are prolific spawners and great parents. Let me know if you want some. I have two pairs of wild caught parents so I have lots of F1.They are Tanganyikan Cichlids and they are not Herbivores.

dhavalsp

Members
i am getting trophs....they will be home tomorrow! I will update with pics when they settle down...

Also be prepared to answer too many questions...:p

dhavalsp

Members
I finally got tropheous... 1-1.5 inch fry...such an interesting fish....thanks for the suggestion everyone. I will share the pics in couple of days

Few questions:

I am feeding them NLS 1 mm pellets. They feast on it. Is it okay to add some tetra color every now and then...more like 2-3 times a week...

I was unable to remove 2 neon tetras from my planted tank...it was just impossible to catch them without disrupting everything. I thought trophs would get them at some point. But to my surprise they are being ignored. How bad will it be if they eventually eat one of them??...I am sure they are going to go for them at some point...