• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

New member -- Dave from Lothian, MD

d1def

Members
Hi, I just came across this site while doing some searches; there's a lot of good information here!

I have 3 tanks now after starting out with 4 fish a year ago in a 45 gallon tank I got for free from freecycle. I bought 2 jewel and 2 bumble-bee cichlids (finding out later that's not the best pairing!).

The jewels started breeding early and I had to put a separator in the tank. The first couple broods didn't survive but they were persistent with even bigger broods every few weeks!! I got some brine shrimp and fry food, and several survived. So I got another tank to save them from the predatory parents....

Well... a couple of them paired off too!! Wow, they are good breeders. I got another tank and filled that one too. I gave about 120 of the largest (about 1-2 inches) to somebody off of Craigslist about 6 months ago.

The tanks are full again... I separated the breeding couples but if there was room I bet the next generations are ready! I am enjoying this but the upkeep on the tanks is too much now. And one tank is showing some signs of stress that is getting better after a couple of water changes.

Anybody want some nice jewels (1-3")? I think they are Hemichromis lifalili if this profile and picture are correct: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2508

I did see that there is marketplace here so I can try that. A store I called nearby could only take several; he did point me to G&G Aquatics in Lorton but that is quite a hike from here (Lothian, near Upper Marlboro).

I look forward to reading more of the forums and maybe making a meeting too.

Dave

Leffler817

CCA Members
Welcome to the Forum Dave! :happy0180: I used to teach at Southern Middle School. You should try and make it to a meeting. It probably takes between 30-45 minutes from SMS to the meeting. The worst part of the drive would be getting to 50. :D

Welcome! I live in Davidsonville, off Rte 2, just before the Edgewater intersection with Rte 214. For this part of the world, we're neighbors!

Ruth

turfboss

Members
Welcome Dave - try to make it to the CCA meeting on March 10 - I'm sure you will find it both interesting and informative- we have had over 100 folks at each of the first 2 meetings this year and the mini-auctions are a blast. Great folks and great deals on items on the auction - it is a great place to meet some really dedicated fish breeders as well as a lot of new folks - there is always plenty to eat and this next meeting is a chili cook off - which should be a lot of fun.

Hope you can make it -