• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Net Breeders

zackcrack00

Members
I will be acquiring a Kribensis pair and 4 guppies, so I will have a lot if fry. When the guppies give birth, I it safe to keep about 6 fry and put them in a net breeder in the same tank? I am open to options, but I only have one tank, and can't get another. Is it okay to just keep six until about .75" in size when the other fish won't eat them? I will occasionally lift the breeder to let it have new water, but is it okay to keep them in breeders? I can keep 3 per breeder!

rsretep

Members
I keep mostly all of my fry in net breeders in the tank they are born, I also add an air stone for circulation. Have had problems in the past with larger fish trying to eat the fry through the net, however my wife came up with a good idea of making a protective cage out of plastic canvas, she sews the pieces together with fishing line and makes the "cage" only slightly larger than the breeder,but protects the fry from any other fish who try to make a snack of them

Plenipotentiary-at-large
This is far better

http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/marina-hang-on-breeding-box-large.html

Comes in three different sizes and makes a net breeder seem like a dinosaur. I could see using a bunch of net breeders in a single fry tank/basin but even then they're still a pain in the ***, flimsy and hard to clean. These hang-on boxes have far better water circulation and visibility, don't screw up your main tank and provide much better survival rates for fry IME. My nominee for best new product of the year...

verbal

CCA Members
http://www.kensfish.com/moreinfo/marina-hang-on-breeding-box-large.html

Comes in three different sizes and makes a net breeder seem like a dinosaur. I could see using a bunch of net breeders in a single fry tank/basin but even then they're still a pain in the ***, flimsy and hard to clean. These hang-on boxes have far better water circulation and visibility, don't screw up your main tank and provide much better survival rates for fry IME. My nominee for best new product of the year...

I agree they are great.

I am not sure how new they really are. I think they are basically a modification of an old school air driven hang on the back filter.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Have never seen an air-driven HOB

Never saw or heard of the Marina units until 6 months ago when Christie snagged one. I bought 2, bought 2 more and now have 8. For species with small spawn sizes like Apistos or Corys they're the bomb and one doesn't have to dedicate or set-up an entire tank just for fry. Also makes acclimating fish between tanks really easy/non-fatal.

Would like to see some made of glass with brass or steel fittings rather than plastic, not that they don't work as is or are so cheaply made that they break easily (though I would make a couple of minor design alterations), just be cool to have really nice ones since they hang on the outside of the tanks.

chriscoli

Administrator
I also noticed that HOT carries all three sizes of the Marina hang-on boxes. I have about 10 of them and have been scoping out places where I can pick one up in a pinch just in case.

The only time I use net breeders now is when I'm sorting fish the night before an auction. I fill a spare 10 gal tank about a quarter to a third of the way with water, put three or four net breeders in, resting on the bottom and sort one bag-worth of fish into each net. That way they get to sit in clean(er) water overnight and are super easy to catch the next morning.

daninmd

Members
I keep mostly all of my fry in net breeders in the tank they are born, I also add an air stone for circulation. Have had problems in the past with larger fish trying to eat the fry through the net, however my wife came up with a good idea of making a protective cage out of plastic canvas, she sews the pieces together with fishing line and makes the "cage" only slightly larger than the breeder,but protects the fry from any other fish who try to make a snack of them

i just use the regular cheap breeder nets. to keep fish from eating the fry in the net, i just put some sand on the bottom of the net. seems to work for me. when i have seen fish eating them thru the net its always been from the bottom. the sand stops that.

rsretep

Members
i just use the regular cheap breeder nets. to keep fish from eating the fry in the net, i just put some sand on the bottom of the net. seems to work for me. when i have seen fish eating them thru the net its always been from the bottom. the sand stops that.

Good idea may try that one

Plenipotentiary-at-large
Net bleeders

Good idea may try that one

I have at least one or two that you may have for a song. IME they: are constantly in the way and downright invasive in small tanks, not conducive to good water circulation/fry health, unattractive, flimsy, difficult to impossible to see into, algae magnets, basically impossible to clean while in the tank (and a mild pain when out and empty), and a good way to snuff baby fry that get caught between the bracing and netting. They may be handy in some instances, like for isolating fish short-term, but IMO serve best to illustrate that "you get what you pay for". Only advantages I can see over a hang-on box is that they permit greater closure for glass tops and don't require an air-line hook-up. I bought mine for fry and/or to isolate male Apistos from schools of free-swimmers, but everyone's much happier and healthier (myself included) with breeder boxes and/or tank dividers. I would also for instance accord much higher survival rates to say Corydoras fry in a breeder box than a net, besides the fact they allow one to actually see them as they grow.

By the way, am I bringing you a panduro girl next weekend?

rsretep

Members
I have at least one or two that you may have for a song. IME they: are constantly in the way and downright invasive in small tanks, not conducive to good water circulation/fry health, unattractive, flimsy, difficult to impossible to see into, algae magnets, basically impossible to clean while in the tank (and a mild pain when out and empty), and a good way to snuff baby fry that get caught between the bracing and netting. They may be handy in some instances, like for isolating fish

Y

short-term, but IMO serve best to illustrate that "you get what you pay for". Only advantages I can see over a

hang-on box is that they permit greater closure for glass tops and don't require an air-line hook-up. I bought
mine for fry and/or to isolate male Apistos from schools
of free-swimmers, but everyone's much happier and healthier (myself included) with breeder boxes and/or

tank dividers. I would also for instance accord much
higher survival rates to say Corydoras fry in a breeder

box than a net, besides the fact they allow one to
actually see them as they grow.

By the way, am I bringing you a panduro girl next weekend?

Okay Sam thanks for remembering the female panduro.
e see you at the meeting