• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Nerite Snails DEAD!?

NYfan78

Members
Hey everyone. I have or had 2 zebra nerite snails that i found dead. empty shells. I never saw teh fish eating them but i wouldnt put it past them. I only kep the light on at night for a few hours when i got home and the tank was pretty algea free from what i could see from them doing there thing. My water parameters are normal. Any ideas why they could have died? I have been leaving the night on now before i got to work and on all day and turn it off at night so more algea groww. I was thinking it may be a lack of food/algea for them. Let me know if anyone has any ideas?

Thanks!

cmcpart0422

Members
From what I remember nerites don't live very long lives like 1-2 years. But other then that I dont know what could have killed them.

Leffler817

CCA Members
Dude that sucks. :sick0004: I did not know they had a short life span. I got mine about the same time you got yours. Wonder how old they were/are?

NYfan78

Members
They kept my tank spotless. Algea is starting to come back again. Only have 3 tiny olive nerites left. Need to contact Rachel to get more zebra nerites!

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
My olive nerites are doing well, but like you, I am unexpectedly losing my zebra dn tiger nerites. They are in the same tanks as the olive nerites and my fish are all fine, so I am not sure why they are dieing.

cmcpart0422

Members
Well you got to weight the good and the bad here. Yes it sucks they died but they gave you 6 months of spotless glass. And at $2-$3 each I would gladly buy more if I knew for a fact that they would only live 6 months.

NYfan78

Members
Oh yeah they kept my glass and my Texas Holey Rock spot less for the most part. I need to contact Rachel and get some more. I m gona get some zebra and spotted this time!

msjinkzd

invert junkie
its probably a lack of food. They can live for several years, I have had some for 3 years now in my display tanks.

The collectors usually pick larger snails which are probably adults already (especially with the zebras and the red spots). I try and get them as small as I can to ensure longer time in the tank but they are not offered at specific sizes.

I did get in alot of juvenile bumble bee horned nerites and green spikey nerites which are pea-sized and probably quite young. The issue with this is that larger fish may be more apt to pick on them at this size.

Its the difficult part of dealing with wild caught invertebrates that don't reproduce in freshwater, lol. You get the good (amazing algae eating capabilities) and the bad (unknown age of collected species).

One thing I try to do is put large rocks into tanks that I don't house the nerites in to culture algae. You can also put them in a bucket in a windowsill in some water to grow the algae. I then just swap these out ever few days.

A single nerite can clean one side of a 10g tank in a matter of days. I usually recommend a low stocking density at first (1 per 10g or so) and see how the algae is effected as they willl starve rather than eat prepared foods sometimes. I have had moderate luck supplementing them with kens veggie sticks and with blanched zucchini, but they really don't do as well as they do with algae.

NYfan78

Members
Rachel, thanks for the info! I def want to get more from ya. Can u post some pics and prices on the 2 nerites u mentioned above! Thanks!

MonteSS

Members
Are we talkin green or brown algae. I have plenty of the brown that I am constantly cleaning but no green. If they eat the brown than I am all in!

...Bill

msjinkzd

invert junkie
they eat any sheet algae; green, brown, etc. They do not really eat hair algaes. I am working on my new stock inventory today