• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need Your Help - Temporary Fish Housing

dogofwar

CCA Members
We have an immediate need to temporarily house some fish.

On Sunday morning, we had a chimney fire in our house. My kids, wife and I are safe, but the house will not have electricity or be habitable for the next couple of months.

With the help of a wonderful neighbor and CCA-member Jon Clark, I was able to set up all of the fish in Rubbermaids in my next-door-neighbor's basement (18g rubbermaids with sponges, boxes and polyfilter)...and so far fish losses have been reasonable. Needless to say, these conditions aren't ideal...

For now, we're staying in a Residence Inn suite near our place in Gaithersburg...probably for the next 6-8 weeks.

The fish are mostly small and medium-sized new world cichlids, many of them Uruguayan (so no heater required).

If you have an open tank or three, please PM me and we can work out the logistics.

My neighbor gets home about 5 PM and we're located in Gaithersburg...

Thanks so much and have a wonderful holiday!

Matt

PS Thanks to all of the generous offers of assistance already...
PSS I'm still set as speaker for January...

mab

Members
Matt,

I can move a few fish around to free up a couple 29s and a 15. Might be able to set up a couple smaller tanks too.

Michael

F8LBITE

Members
WOW Matt im sorry to hear this. I hope everything works out, the main thing is your family is safe. I wish I had room for your fish.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks much Mike - PM'ing you with my address and cell to coordinate logistics...

Thanks for the kind words everyone :)

Matt

Matt,

I can move a few fish around to free up a couple 29s and a 15. Might be able to set up a couple smaller tanks too.

Michael

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
Matt, I've got a 10 ready to go, a 20h and 75 (I'll need to use your sponges/boxes as they're not set up atm)

pm me your number and I'll holla at ya after work ;)

minifoot77

Members
matt i got a one fifty i'm about to set up your more than welcome to it but i'm in aberdeen

Posted via mobile.capitalcichlids.org

dustin

Members
I have a couple tanks too open for ya but I'm in waynesboro,pa. Let me know. The offer is there. Good luck!

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks guys - can't travel right now...gotta stay close to home :)

My neighbor will be home about 4:30 tonight...

Matt

RIFT_LAKES_RULE

Member of the Darkside Tang's Rule!
I have a couple tanks too open for ya but I'm in waynesboro,pa. Let me know. The offer is there. Good luck!

Is that near Hagerstown? If so we can arrange to meet up there when I go. I can bring fish back for u to hold or u can ride along, whichever works.

I've got more room in the basement for tanks if anyone has tanks but no room.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Hi Mike,

I've got a spare 55 and metal stand in the garage....I think a 20L sitting under it.

You or anyone who can get here soon is welcome to it if you've got room and you can take more fish ;)

Also got plenty of cycled sponges and air pumps..

Thanks again,
Matt

iamzrad

Members
Yikes, sorry to hear about this Matt. Glad everyone is safe!

If you allow your fish to cross over international borders, i.e., Virginia, I have a couple of 10-15gal I could house fish in.

Let me know!

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'm down to 3 rubbermaids remaining thanks to Spine, Jon Clark and Submariner (Richard)...

I think I've got the last 3 covered...but can't thank you all enough for the generous offers!

Best wishes,
Matt

Charlutz

Members
Hey Matt -

No tank space, but I have floor space in my fishroom. Heated room, air available. I can take your rubbermaids and put them on my floor for as long as you like. If that can work, let me know. Sorry to hear of the emergency but glad you and the fam are ok.

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
MATT I'M VERY SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR FIRE. THANKFULLY YOUR FAMILY IS SAFE. I CALL YOU AS I HAVE A 20GV YOU CAN USE IF YOU NEED IT. I DON'T HAVE A FREE TANK BUT THIS MAY HELP YOU.

dogofwar

CCA Members
Thanks everyone!

I've got plans for the last three Rubbermaids of fish to be re-homed - gracias DQ and DangerChicken!

The fish have been through a lot - cold, soapy water (from the fire), no air or heat, being crammed into rubbermaids in a cool basement...and transfer to new tanks - and most of them have so far survived...

Not to jinx myself...

Best wishes,
Matt

PS Fortunately we have renter's insurance for our house (and fire insurance on the houses that we own). If you rent and don't have renters insurance, please, please, please get some from a reputable insurer. The fire department was shocked that we were insured (I guess most folks aren't).

Matt