• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need some recommendations

trancet

Members
Hello !
Looking for some recommendations on additions toward my all male lake malawi tank

Current species
Venustus
Fusco
Fryeri
Jacobfreibergi
Yellow Tail Acei
Yellow Lab
OJ Peacock
D. Compressiceps
Redfin borleyi
Red Empress
VC10 Milomo
Bucco Noto
Blue dolphin

All are alittle over 3" except the d. comp. @ 4.5"

Also, any advice on behavior when everyone grows up and start getting an attitude would be welcomed as well. Tank size is not much of an issue, i will be getting a 6'x1.5' tank shortly, and a larger setup is on the horizon.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
That is a nice collection you have already. The Fusco is likely to be an issue down the road. They are one of my favorites, but they can be downright brutal on others.

trancet

Members
That is a nice collection you have already. The Fusco is likely to be an issue down the road. They are one of my favorites, but they can be downright brutal on others.

So far the fusco's have not been an issue. I can forsee issues in the future tho, they are growing quite fast, and are voracious eaters.

I suggest a Taiwan Reef

I have been on the lookout for a 3" or so male for a while now, have yet to come across any. Considering on getting an albino one if i get a chance.

Looking on getting a Placidochromis sp. of some sort, either Star sapphire or Mdoka white lips. Is thre any chance i could have both without them constantly fighting each other?

frankoq

Members
You can order one Taiwan Reef online.
I got mine at about 2 inches and no blue on the face from an unsexed tank. Took my chances and got lucky. He is now all blue on the face and the rest of the body is coloring nicely. He is peaceful but occasionally chases my Venustus.

Placidochromis phenochilus are different then most haps and peacocks in there behaviors. Both are sand sifters or "blue followers" they actually have a host fish in the wild and they protect it as of it were their territory. In the aquarium where food is abundant they seem to tolerate each other much better than others haps. Passing their days endlessly sifting sand.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

trancet

Members
from what ive read, it seems Placidochromis phenochilus is fairly peaceful, i think i'll try and get both,

What kind of host fish do they follow in the wild? Fossorochromis Rostratus?