• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need some opinions

TMSB805

Members
I have 4 lyonsi(1M 3F)in a 90 gallon at the moment and it appears my smallest female is ready to breed. Her tube virtually all the way down, she's in her breeding dress and she's keeps the larger females pinned in the corner. Her and the male go into the flower pot for a little bit and then he gives chase.

My question is should i leave the other females in to try and secure a bond between the male and female or should i remove them?

The male is 7" and the female is 4-4.5". Other females are 6"

I've been working on spawning lyonsi for the last 2 years so i'm really excited about what im seeing and don't want to mess this process up.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Good to hear they are getting ready to do their thing. It is always satisfying when a group of fish you have been working with are successful in spawning. Hopefully Pete Glover can weigh in with his experiences with lyonsi, but I'm pretty sure he keeps his group in a 75 with more than just the spawning pair.

TMSB805

Members
The male i have i got from Pete. Funny thing is, the female i actually purchased as a male at aquamania. Two days before i moved i noticed he tube and dramatic change in color. The black in her dorsal became clear as day. I honestly thought she was too young to spawn but dont tell her that.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd take the extras out...or secure them behind a divider.

Other fish definitely work to keep the pair bond...

Matt

rsretep

Members
Hey Zach great news!!!!I had to keep my pair seperated until they were ready to spawn because of the males aggression. I started with a group and slowly needed to reduce the size of the group as things started to progress with the pair. I used plastic egg crate as a divider in my 75 and I found my female liked to lay in a large overturned flower pot. Once they began spawning they continued about every three weeks. I still have babies I am looking to get rid of and have recently sold my pair to Richone of the CCA family. good luck Zach, my pair brought me much pleasure and I am sure yours will too.

TMSB805

Members
Thanks for the info Pete. What temp did yours spawn at? Mine are currently at 78. I've moved the other females into the 300 and left some young Godmani as targets. I'll see what transpires in the next couple of days.

rsretep

Members
I kept mine a bit warmer.than that about 81-82. Degrees feed them freeze dried krill with cichlid excel, cichlid gold and an kens fish assortment of three stick flavors mixed. Plus treated them once a week with frozen krill (seemed to be their favorite) what are you feeding yours? And any eggs yet since the females tube has dropped?

TMSB805

Members
Turned up the heat a tad. I'm a variety of pellets to include hikari, nls, spirulina. Earthworm flakes, frozen krill and mysis shrimp. A bunch of different frozen cubes like brine with spriulna, emerald entree,bloodworms.

No eggs yet but she's been busy cleaning out one of the flower pots. So i'd say things are going in the right direction.

TMSB805

Members
Her tube is down pretty far but still nothing.......but at least i think she's decided which pot she wants to spawn in.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Very cool, Zach. Grab some pics if you get a chance. :)

Good luck.