• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

NEED SHIPPING FISH 101 CLASS ASAP

UNCLERUCKUS

"THE ALL POWERFUL Q !!
HI I HAVE TO SHIP SOME FISH. YOU GUESSED IT IVE NEVER DONE IT AND IM A LITTLE LEARY. SO IM ASKING THOSE WHO ARE IN THE KNOW TO OFFER SOME INFO IF THEY WOULD. IM INTERESTED TO KNOW PACKING METHODS, CHEAPEST YET SAFEST OVERNIGHT SERVICE, AND ANYTHING ELSE THAT YOU FEEL I SHOULD KNOW. THANK YOU! ;)

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
While I haven't shipped fish before, I've received plenty via mail.

Bill's questions are all very relative to what you need to do.

For starters, I'd say start with 1/2 of your water in the bag to be tank water and 1/2 to be fresh dechlor'ed (or aged water). Add either a Bag Buddy or a piece of that denitrator filter padding. Total bag volume should consist of 1/3 water, 2/3 air. Go to the LFS and get them to fill the bag with straight O2. They won't mind.

For 1" fish, you can do a bunch in a bag, for 2" fish only couple per bag and larger than that, go singly. Double bag using the thicker bags and do not use breathers... for spiny or bitey fish, you may have to get creative or use puncture-resistant bags.

Use a styro cooler that has a box that matches it. I have a few extras after our food order, but will be using them to bring for folks at the meeting. How many bags are you packing? I have a few large ones and a pretty sweet smaller one (2.5' x 1' x 8" high approximately) that may work out well for you.

Not sure if you need ice packs or not, but I have plenty of those as well. use newspaper to prevent the bags from rolling around as well as to keep space between the bag and the cold packs.

cmcpart0422

Members
I tend not to feed the fish for 2 days before shipping to help cut down on waste they produce while being shipped. If you are shipping over night I wouldn't worry about it but if shipping usps flat rate then don't feed for 2 days beforehand.

Tony is right make sure to use thick or double bags if shipping spiny fish and bag buddies are also good.

Fish are hardy I recently sent a package that got lost and took about 5 days to get to the person but the fish all made it alive.

If I don't have a box shaped styro that fits into the shipping box then I go to the hardware store and buy a sheet of styro and cut it to fit the dimentions of the shipping box. I also pack news paper in with the fish.

dogofwar

CCA Members
This time of year you won't need heat packs. For cichlids larger than fry I individually bag. I use 100% overnight aged tap water and for larger fish bag buddies.

Double or triple bagging is a must.

Fedex and ups cost more but have better tracking than usps. I've gotten away with
priority mail for small fish in breather bags...but it's more risky.

I'm not a fan of shipping really big fish. Too many chances for something to go wrong.

Also don't feed for three days prior

good luck
Matt