• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need Outdoor Plant Biomass

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Filled up the outdoor ponds and with the fish I hope to breed, will be looking for some serious plantage. Java fern, cobomba, hygro, val, guppy grass, water hyacinth... whatever you got. Just need a couple of bags to provide cover for the little fry.

Pickup at the June meeting. Shoot me a PM.

Thanks in advance.

Cristy

Members
Those plants will just get covered in algae and don't provide enough overhead coverage from animal sight. The best plants for pond fish are floating plants. Water hyacinth, water lettuce and frogbit are floating plants that have huge root masses for your fish.

I'd like to get some frogbit and water hyacinth myself.

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
I picked up a sprig of some plant that was spreading on the surface of gunner's lake. Not sure what it is or how well it will do. It was growing from the sediment.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
HOT has hyacinth on sale 3 for $15. They are large and healthy looking.

msjinkzd

invert junkie
i will have a ton of guppy grass this week, if you want a big chunk, letm e know. i am getting it for my outdoor bins.

Tony

Alligator Snapping Turtle/Past Pres
Thanks for all the responses, guys. :)

Those plants will just get covered in algae and don't provide enough overhead coverage from animal sight. The best plants for pond fish are floating plants. Water hyacinth, water lettuce and frogbit are floating plants that have huge root masses for your fish.

I'd like to get some frogbit and water hyacinth myself.

For the tub, I'm just sort of tossing stuff in there and letting it float. I do need to get some hyacinth or another floater... just something with a big root mass. With the tetras in there, mostly concerned with trying to save eggs and tiny fry from getting eaten by the tetras.

For the 55, it gets so decent light from the side, so going to try to do plants in the substrate as well as floating. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I picked up a sprig of some plant that was spreading on the surface of gunner's lake. Not sure what it is or how well it will do. It was growing from the sediment.

Maybe I'll check out my local pond this weekend... :)

HOT has hyacinth on sale 3 for $15. They are large and healthy looking.

Don't get up there to too often. :wacko:
Good to know though, Andrew.

i will have a ton of guppy grass this week, if you want a big chunk, letm e know. i am getting it for my outdoor bins.

If you have extra, then I'd love some, but know how big your tanks are... so don't fret. You probably need more plants than I do. :)

What are you breeding?

Hopefully... Buenos Aires tetras, black skirt tetras and serpae tetras so far.

Considering tossing my Montezuma swords in there as well, but still trying to figure out if raising nice, naturally low pH up to neutral would be worth it. I'd guess the tetras wouldn't be as happy - or willing to breed. :confused: