• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need ideas.

Harleyrider5

Members
Ive decided to take either my 20gal long or my 40gal breeder and make it into a community tank for my son. The tanks are completely empty. With him only being 3yrs old im going to let him choose the gravel, and decor. I just need ideas of fish that wont out grow the tanks. Since all my other tanks have predatory cichlids.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Becca

Members
Rainbow fish, Rainbow Cichlids, Checkerboard cichlids, Rams (German Blue, Gold, Electric Blue, Bolivian)...

If you want something that doesn't need a heater, there's always white cloud mountain minnows.

A nice school of tetras or rasboras and some dwarf cichlids or gouramis seems like something you can't go wrong with.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Rainbow fish, Rainbow Cichlids, Checkerboard cichlids, Rams (German Blue, Gold, Electric Blue, Bolivian)...

If you want something that doesn't need a heater, there's always white cloud mountain minnows.

A nice school of tetras or rasboras and some dwarf cichlids or gouramis seems like something you can't go wrong with.

Lol! I was gonna ask questions like personality of him and his child what he already had etc etc...

Would you want feeder fish for the predators? You can get live bearers and thin the tank...not sure what your comfortable with.
Killie fish are beautiful

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Harleyrider5

Members
Well im not really concentrating on my preditory fish. I just want fish that can live in either the 20gal or 40gal without really out growing it. I will look into the dwarf cichlids I dont know anything about them.

Harleyrider5

Members
I guess I am mainly looking for community fish outside of the standard fish petsmart sells

Becca

Members
I guess I am mainly looking for community fish outside of the standard fish petsmart sells

Josh (Batfish) has some nice Dario dario right now (Scarlet Badis). Rachel (MsJinxzd) specializes in nano fish that can thrive in very small tanks.

A 20L or a 40B would be good for any of the dwarf cichlids. Rainbow cichlids would do fine in a 40B, but you might end up with babies.

Shrimp are also a great addition to any tank. You have a lot of options and I'd recommend checking out the small tank segment of the Aquarium Beautiful competition for ideas.

Becca

Members
I was actually online looking at the dwarf kribensis cichlids

They are really lovely fish, as are related species. I have 3 Kribs in the 150 -If I thought I could catch them, I'd give them to you.

If you end up with a pair, they will spawn (love PVC pipes) and you can use some of the fry as feeders for your larger fish and let your kid watch a few grow-out, too.

Beeman

Members
I set up a 20 long as a nano tank some months ago. Dario dario, mountain minnows, chili rasboros [all from Rachel(BIG props!!)], and red crystal shrimp. My favorite tank for sure. With it's shallow depth, live(all) plants thrive. The shrimp make the tank, really! If you have never kept them, you really are missing out! AND, they help keep algae to a manageable minimum.
I am currently setting up a 40 with quarter size angels, aspidora catfish, and pseudomugil rainbows. Again, shallow tanks are conducive to good live plant growth. Nothing like the real deal Papa says! :)