• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need help cutting a hole in terra cotta clay pot

razor1914

Members
I thought it would be easy to make a hole in my clay pot, but that wasn't true. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get this done?.. I tried to drill a hole so far, but failed.. Thanks

blkmjk

Members
I wouldn't because it could leave sharp edges. But if I was inclined to do so anyway I would use a Dremel tool.

Drew

halkentjr

Members
the experience at our house was not encouraging. I cut some pots with dremel and cutoff wheels, but the wheels wore out very fast. my wife made some flowerpot artsy things that involved drilling the pots. she could barely drill small holes (1/8 or 1/4) using a new masonry bit.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
As suggested, try using drill bits and/or cutting wheels specifically made for masonry. My issue has always been the fragility of the pots. You need to use some pressure to get the tools to work and I always ended up breaking the pot. A dremmel with a masonry cutting wheel may work if you take is slow.

razor1914

Members
Thank you guys for the quick response and advice... I will keep you guys posted on the end results... Thanks again !

Soak the clay pot in water for 24 hr to soften it. Do not cut or drill which will crack the clay. Instead, use a small conical grinder to start a hole, and than a larger grinder to open up the hole.

Jmty

Members
will a hole saw work in there ? round hole no edges,never done in a clay pot but almost sure will work (soft hands) .

captmicha

Members
You can use a glass/tile circle bit in a power drill. Make sure to keep it cool with water or uneven heat might cause it to break.

Sent from my KFTT using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

harlowe777

Members
A diamond tip wholesale bit for tile..you can get them at Home Depot.. Keep the bit wet as you're doing it will go through in about 3 seconds..

dogofwar

CCA Members
Soak the pot in water for a day or so and use a hammer or screwdriver.

Flowerpots in nature have perfectly round holes ;)

Matt

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Soak the pot in water for a day or so and use a hammer or screwdriver.

Flowerpots in nature have perfectly round holes ;)

Matt

I've soaked in water and then taken a flathead screw driver and marked/ gouged a hole them do so on the other side then you can tap it lightly on the inside mark is then it will break of leaving a rough but round surface. Remember to gouge deep enough and soak over night...you can pretty much carve your way through if it soaked overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

dogofwar

CCA Members
I stumbled onto a big pile of broken pots at Home Depot a couple of years ago...and a couple of employees who just gave them to me...basically all of the pots I've ever needed :)

Matt

I've soaked in water and then taken a flathead screw driver and marked/ gouged a hole them do so on the other side then you can tap it lightly on the inside mark is then it will break of leaving a rough but round surface. Remember to gouge deep enough and soak over night...you can pretty much carve your way through if it soaked overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

chriscoli

Administrator
not to get too far off topic, but for juvies and fry....you can buy clay orchid pots. They already have holes in them. I use them upside down in bare tanks to give juvies a place to hang out and feel safe. The Big Box hardware stores have them.

razor1914

Members
Thanks to everyone who added their comments and advices.. I was successful getting my three clay pots cut without breaking them.. It was a bit messy, but I got the job done .. I stopped at Home Depot after work today and picked up the recommended glass/tile circle bit, soaked the pots for a few minutes only because I have no patience, started up the drill and went to work... Thanks again for your help !!!

lkelly

Members
Next time just get this lady to make a custom one for you.

903-2.jpg

The Grand Canyon was not made in a day.

The drill will go through the clay pot with even the slightest of pressure. Having drilled 10g tank I know this to be true.