• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Need a little help. Parrot cichlid color.

aquan00b

Members
Any recommendations on how to get my parrot cichlids to that nice orange color, and how long would you think the process is going to take?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1401496781466.jpg

aquan00b

Members
I'm feeding them Tetra Cichlid color food sticks, temp is currently at 80, they are in a 72 bow

festaedan

potamotrygon fan
I think its the food, most tetra foods aren't that great. I'd recomend switching to new life spectrum pellets. My fish love it.

I deal with hybrids myself and temp really does not have any effect on the color of my hybrids such as my female rose queen or her mate which is a male red head synspilum. Water quality does as well as what you feed them. Any hybrid Cichlids I have with any red or orange color to them I feed them krill and Monster KOK extreme red. Its good for parrots,flowerhorns,red Texas, and South American cichlids. Its fit for most tropical fish and will improve the immune system with stronger,healthier,and livelier results. I get my bag for $23 at HOT and its worth it.

Last edited:

aquan00b

Members
Thanks guys! Thanks a lot for the info. I will update in the process. Kevin I think I know you from somewhere.

aquan00b

Members
Better water quality definitely can't hurt. Weekly 50% or greater water changes are a good start.

Adding a food with as astaxanthin will help enhance reds.

Kensfish has several with it: http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/kens-premium-color-max-flake.html

Or you can buy it yourself and add: http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/fish-food-feeders/astaxanthin-powder.html

...But start with awesome water quality...

Matt

Thanks for the info. I'm starting on the water change in a few.

fish

Banned
lol, they just are simply not blood red parrots! parrot cichlids come in many different colors and yours just happen to be a "pink" variety. simple as that!

what you are doing is pretty much the equivalent of trying to turn your powder blue flower horn into a red flower horn.

Smh
Sebastian... food that helps for coloring does help. It depends on the band and other food such as krill. When I first got my rose queens they was lacking in color. Ever since I been feeding them... well her because she killed the male krill and Monster KOK Extreme Red you would think she was a different fish.

Last edited:

aquan00b

Members
lol, they just are simply not blood red parrots! parrot cichlids come in many different colors and yours just happen to be a "pink" variety. simple as that!

what you are doing is pretty much the equivalent of trying to turn your powder blue flower horn into a red flower horn.

I have bought them for my mother about 4 months ago and they were really orange, and labeled blood parrot cichlids.