• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Native Fishes

Steve

Members
Hi,

After a couple of weekends of hanging around some small streams, I've finally decided to get serious about learning to identify native non-game fish. Does anyone have a good/favorite book suggestion? I am aware of Fred C. Rohde, Freshwater Fishes of the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware (UNC Press, 1994), but I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

Suggestions, indeed, might help me forget that I'll probably have to miss the meeting on Saturday due to the convergence of soccer games, birthday parties and other assorted activities.

Thanks,
Steve

C

Chuck & Veronica

After a couple of weekends of hanging around some small streams, I've finally decided to get serious about learning to identify native non-game fish. Does anyone have a good/favorite book suggestion? I am aware of Fred C. Rohde, Freshwater Fishes of the Carolinas, Virginia, Maryland, and Delaware (UNC Press, 1994), but I'd appreciate any other suggestions.
[/b]
Hi Steve,

There's also Freshwater Fishes of Virginia, by Jenkins and Burkhead. But at 1078 pages, it's a bit much to bring into the field. My favorite to carry with me is Peterson's Field Guide, Freshwater Fishes, by Page and Burr.

Where are the streams you've been sampling? If you haven't already, you probably want to check out the North American Native Fishes Association. Bob Bock is the Maryland rep and Mike Thennet is the Virginia rep.

Happy collecting!

Chuck

Steve

Members
Chuck,

Thanks for the idea--plus, at only $350 (used) I can stay within my budget . . . . :)

I've just been poking around Montg. Co. parks (with a trip to Front Royal thrown in for added interest). Sorta got pushed over the edge when I saw somebody catch a small chub of some sort, only to have it identified as a "bass." (My snorting wasn't appreciated.) But, since *I* didn't know exactly what it was, I must be wrong . . . .

In looking around, I found this site (recognizing that many of you probably are long aware of it): http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/

Cheers,
Steve

C

Chuck & Veronica

Chuck,

Thanks for the idea--plus, at only $350 (used) I can stay within my budget . . . . :)

In looking around, I found this site (recognizing that many of you probably are long aware of it): http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/
[/b]
Wow, I didn't realize it was so expensive. I bought mine years ago for something like $40. They were surplus copies that a NANFA guy had on hand. Hmmm, now I'm thinking of selling mine through Amazon. I could buy a new fish tank for that kind of money! :p

Yeah, the Virginia Tech site is great. If you live in Maryland, definitely hook up with Bob Bock. He's usually at the CCA meetings. The PVAS All-Aquarium Catfish Convention will have a collecting trip as one of its field trips, and the cost will only be $15 (permits, transportation, buckets and nets provided).

Chuck