• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

Mystery Plant - Please Help with ID

chriscoli

Administrator
I have a plant that is growing like crazy in one of my tanks, but I can't remember what it is...please help! I bought it as a clump of unrooted stems.

mystery plant.jpg

chriscoli

Administrator
Gee, Chris, THANKS! :D

That reminds me of when I used to work at a plant nursery and we'd get people coming in asking about their plants...."see, I have this tree...it has leaves. They are green. What is it?"

chriscoli

Administrator
OK, EVERYONE, LISTEN UP! Thanks to Chris, we now know that it's green and has leaves. I can now stop losing sleep over wondering what my plant is! :D

Here's a better pic of the stems....

mystery plant 2.jpg

It's Hygrophila corymbosa "Augustifolia".

It's a nice stem plant that looks very grassy. It's a nice filler in the background in order to achieve fullness like grass, but it propagates like crazy. Trim the plant when it gets to the top and plant the top a few inches away because the stem that you clipped will bush out with other stems shooting off the the sides.

Arlene

You're welcome Chris! I love the hovering loach you caught in the picture! I just got 7 of those last week and they school with my Burnese rosy loaches. They are so cute!

Arlene

chriscoli

Administrator
The loaches have been fantastic! This tank has become one of my favorites to sit and watch....it's my first serious attempt at a planted tank.

Now that I see how big the Hygrophila gets, I've been slowly moving it to the back of the tank as I cut it back.

loach.jpg

planted tank.jpg

It's Hygrophila corymbosa "Augustifolia".

It's a nice stem plant that looks very grassy. It's a nice filler in the background in order to achieve fullness like grass, but it propagates like crazy. Trim the plant when it gets to the top and plant the top a few inches away because the stem that you clipped will bush out with other stems shooting off the the sides.

Arlene

Thats what I would have said if I would have seen the second picture in the begining!:rolleyes:

Great looking tank by the way.

londonloco

Members
Great plant, grows in anything I plant it in. After you cut the stem, replant the part you cut. I had two stalks of this plant given to me (maybe it was Arlene?) a couple of years ago, it's in all my tanks now.