• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Red Jewels

Gilcano

Members
Hi all just want to share the fry of my jewels

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1399502894851.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399502910639.jpg

Gilcano

Members
Thanks everyone, right now they are in a 10g by themselves. Planing to move them to a 20g long to give them more room.

uploadfromtaptalk1399517427540.jpg

fish

Banned
Well he spent to e with my mbuna until I could donate him. He learnt fast that he was not the boss glad he didn't get beaten up.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

My male ripped my yellow tail acei and yellow labs to SHREDS! (Killed them) It was my first (and one of my only) experiances with african cichlids. My first ever cichlids. Still have that pair of jewels.

Gilcano

Members
Guys I have a question: I'll be ok to do a water change? What percentage? 10%, 20%?.......Thanks

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Guys I have a question: I'll be ok to do a water change? What percentage? 10%, 20%?.......Thanks

Yes I do regular water changes 25% 2x a week when I have fry I use an air stone on the end of a airline tubing so the fry don't get sucked up. Then when they get big enough vacuum vacuum vacuum to get the debris out I also have small snails to help with uneaten food

Gilcano

Members
This Red Jewel fish eat their fry? Do I have to move them?

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Well, you can if you want the fry but they will constantly reproduce. If you leave the fry in there it might take longer to get another clutch of fry until all the fry are gone.
Most of the time they will get the hang of it after reproducing a few times.

jonclark96

Past CCA President
I continue with regular water changes when I have fry in a tank, usually between 50% and 75% on a weekly basis. I've found that most New World parents will herd their fry away from the siphon tube when you start the water change. I would think that jewels would do the same. If you are really worried about sucking up fry, run the out fall from your siphon through a net into a bucket (large nets work and can be balanced on the rim of the bucket). If you accidently suck one up, it will be caught in the net and you can dump it back in the tank when you are done.

Gilcano

Members
My male ripped my yellow tail acei and yellow labs to SHREDS! (Killed them) It was my first (and one of my only) experiances with african cichlids. My first ever cichlids. Still have that pair of jewels.

Do you have pictures of your Jewels?

Gilcano

Members
I continue with regular water changes when I have fry in a tank, usually between 50% and 75% on a weekly basis. I've found that most New World parents will herd their fry away from the siphon tube when you start the water change. I would think that jewels would do the same. If you are really worried about sucking up fry, run the out fall from your siphon through a net into a bucket (large nets work and can be balanced on the rim of the bucket). If you accidently suck one up, it will be caught in the net and you can dump it back in the tank when you are done.

I'm confused!!! How you do the net bucket part?

Gilcano

Members
Upgrade on the fry they are doing just fine
Parentswfry_zpsbheabkyf.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Jewel fish in breeding color are striking. The intense red with blue sparkling is unmatched in old world cichlid. Unfortunately, their intense red is not fixed and can fade to drab olive if they are not the dominant fish. I've yet had jewel fish in a community tank that stay red at all time.

Localzoo

Board of Directors
Jewel fish in breeding color are striking. The intense red with blue sparkling is unmatched in old world cichlid. Unfortunately, their intense red is not fixed and can fade to drab olive if they are not the dominant fish. I've yet had jewel fish in a community tank that stay red at all time.

I have a male that has some pretty intense color but he is with mbuna and they seem to get along and everyone is colored up just fine. Just my experience.(he's also a huge male)