• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My recent craigslist score. The greatest EVER?

davidhusker

Members
Sorry to make anyone a tad bit jealous but I have to tell the world what just happened to me.

I decided to look for a 100+ gallon on craigslist throughout the next few months so i could put my frontosa in there as they are in the 4 ft 90 gallon right now. I got on there the other day and saw an ad that just read Large Fish Aquarium. There was a picture attached and it appeared to be a nice 6 ft tank on a stand. Oh wait.. the best part, it was listed in "FREE STUFF".. He posted it at 715 am and i emailed him at 735am and he said its fine and to come get it. I get there to see a huge tank in an empty house.

Story behind it. The guy is a realtor whose company specializes in foreclosures. The family who left the house left the tank, couldnt move it, and the company needed the house empty ASAP, as they cannot appraise the house until it is clean and empty (what he said..) Well after a painful 90 mins of lifting the tank through the house with me, this realtor guy and my girlfriend, I get home, measure it etc. I thought it was a 180, 6x2' but i measure and its a 7'x2' 230 gallon 1/2" glass tank in really good shape!! I offered the guy $40 for helping me move it, but he refused and we worked it out so that I will donate the money to a charity, as he cannot accept the money since he doesnt "own" the house/tank.

So yeah.. i just got a 230 gallon aquarium, with a decent furniture quality stand for FREE. It just happened to be 20 mins from my house too. Im excited, and can't wait for new fish hahaha. Just wanted to tell everyone. :) :cool:

YSS

Members
Nice score. Your girlfriend must be really strong. :D Not sure how you can move a 7' tank with three people.

davidhusker

Members
To be honest it was a pain in the ***. I brought a dolly with offroad wheels and both us guys sort of just carried the one end and used the wheels of the dolly of the other end as she balanced and pushed it. Lets just say it took a good 90 minutes to move the thing through a small house and to the driveway. When i got home i got out my pull cart with big wheels, and put the dolly on the other end, and we literally wheeled it into the basement just the two of us. I know, im clever. I was going to do this at that house, but was afraid the cart and dolly and tank wouldnt fit in the van, so i sacrificed the cart there. It took a whole 15 mins to get it inside my house with the cart dolly mix, and It's going to remain here until i make space in the fishroom. Here is a picture i just took.

P5223250.jpg

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Great score on the tank. Awesome that it just fell into your lap the way it did. Can't wait to see pics once you have it all set up.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
OH MY God

thats a great catch. The only time I find people with a large tank for free it turns out to be a 10 or something. lol

Andrewtfw

Global Moderators
What a score! Though I have no room to accomodate such a large tank, I still find myself jealous.

bertolli

Members
awesome, i am jealous indeed especially since I went to get a free 150 once but we couldn't get it out so ended up having to leave it.

Pat Kelly

CCA Member
Staff member
LOL
I can see it now.
There is someone sitting in a room at Craigslist watching and wondering why so many people in the Mid Atlantic area are suddenly looking at the fish stuff on there. lol

davidhusker

Members
haha, I downloaded this software which you can search multiple words and multiple "craigslists" with one click, so I had baltimore, delaware, lancaster, washington, and philly and just searched aquarium, fish tank, cichlids every day. It worked haha.

I'm pretty sure the fish room is done now, Im already in trouble for buying a 10 gallon fry tank today at walmart haha.

I plan on putting a FX5 on it, and putting 2 corner filters/waterheads. The tank is not drilled anywhere, which i prefer because I hate dealing with my sump as it is, much less having 2 to mess with.

George

CCA Charter Member and person in charge of the we
Sure I think you got a deal, but does anyone think about the poor dude that got ripped off by the banks - probably ended up in a sh---y divorce(they always blame it on him and the f-----g courts always agree) where she got the kids and he got support payments 'cuz he's a deadbeat that lost his job and got foreclosed on. That guy, had he kept his job, kept the wife, and kept that beautiful tank full of ugly African garbage Cichlids could have made it to our fine club and become our next president. We may have to keep Pat Kelly forever.

George