• You liked BFD7 now you should join this forum and of course become a club member to see what CCA is all about.
  • Thank you to everyone who registered and showed up for the BIG Fish Deal #7.

My Nitrite is 3.3 ppm!!

zackcrack00

Members
I just checked my 5gallon fry tank' s nitrite,and it was 3.3 ppm, where as my 29gallon Community tank is 0 ppm. WHAT DO I DO? My fry are all acting normal, though!

jonclark96

Past CCA President
Yes, big water changes right away. The only way to reduce nitrates is though water changes or heavy planting. Nitrites indicates that you tank doesn't have a fully mature bacteria colony.

dogofwar

CCA Members
I'd change a gallon or so right away...and another gallon or so later today. Add some extra Prime to knock back the nitrites...

Small tanks, especially with fry and lots of feeding can go bad in a hurry. Easiest thing to do is put a rubbermaid or pitcher next to the tank...and take out a scoop or two of dirty water...and add a scoop of clean water a couple of times per day.

Matt

JLW

CCA Members
With a fry tank, you should be doing at least 50-75% water changed DAILY just to avoid a build up of any pheromones etc. that may restrict the growth of fish. With the nitr-te that high, it indicates your water changes aren't being done that frequently .... So, I think you should step that up on the fry tanks anyhow. :)

Do you have an established filter in there? Moving some filter media from the adult tank to the fry tank may be in order.

First -- I'd recheck your parameters. At that much nitrite, you should see some distress.

Second -- in addition to water changes, add an air stone as nitrite affects oxygen intake for the fish.

Third -- You can move media from an established tank and just throw it in the existing filter or even squeeze gunk from sponges in an established into the affected tank.

Fourth -- The careful use of Prime directly into the water can temporarily knock back nitrite.

zackcrack00

Members
Thanks, Holly. BTW, what do you mean by "Filter media"? I really don't know much about supplies at all, I am more of a fish illness junkie.

zackcrack00

Members
Just did a 50% water change. I will check my nitrate and nitrite once again, maybe I did it wrong. I will add a sponge filter.

zackcrack00

Members
The nitrite went down to 3.1 ppm, and the nitrate grew. I will try to vacuum the gravel in a 3 gallon water change.

zackcrack00

Members
I just did a 2 gallon water change (with gravel vac), and refilled it with 2 gallons of water from my 29 into my 5, then topped of my 29 with 3-4 gallons of water from my well. I also tested my well water. No trace of Nitrite.

Filter media is the "stuff" inside your filter. It could be sponges or ceramic rings or whatever. Taking a gunky sponge from an established tank and stuffing it into another filter helps augment the biological culture in the other tank.

I'm not sure why you're taking water from your 29 and putting it in your 5 during water changes. The water from the 29 has no biological advantage and it will have nitrates in it, adding to your nitrate load in the 5.